Air induction for mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air induction for mpg

I was thinking, obviously cold air ignites fuel better and would there fore make better mpg.

So would a air induction set up, K&n filter and a cold air ram type of thing work well for mpg.

I'm also going to change fuel soon to test mpg with different fuels.

Car already has a cold intake feed and an intercooler to cool the compressed air from the turbo so will make no difference. Might make abit more noise but thats about it
    But yes fuels do make a difference. I find shell bp and morrisons to be good. Shell better out the three
    Another thing to try is millers ecomax diesel additive. Car drives smoother and is more responsive. And the small increase in mpg pays for the additive. Keeps the engine clean too

Comment

I like the idea of the additive, and effectively for free.

Comment

Originally posted by MJSROOFING View Post
        ....I'm also going to change fuel soon to test mpg with different fuels......
        My ex-Astra diesel ran smoother, quieter, had better low-rpm response and maybe did regens a bit less often with BP regular diesel compared to other regular diesels but didn't make much difference in mpg.

If you want economy, avoid spooling the turbo by running the engine below 1700rpm as much as possible, avoid harsh accelerations, avoid having to brake hard for roundabouts/junctions, shift up the gears as early as possible.

Cruising at 50-60mph with the HGVs compared to 80mph with the BMWs makes a massive difference to mpg.
        My ex-Astra (Bi-Turbo diesel) could manage 65mpg with the HGVs but only 45mpg following the BMWs - and my little Viva's mpg is similar.
        My Insignia - a 2.8 - will manage 40mpg cruising with the HGVs but only 30mpg with the BMWs.
        Those are real mpg figures; the trip computer usually exaggerates a bit.

By being gentle with the engine you won't have as much need for the intercooler to cool the compressed air because your compressor (turbo) won't be working hard.
        However, if you're too gentle and do too well with the mpg the exhaust gases won't be hot enough to clear the soot in the DPF so the car will do more regens which drink quite a lot of fuel and eventually fill the DPF with non-combustible ash.

Comment

The Fuel saga continues .......i filled nothing but SHELL .....for the last 18 months .....not a drop of anything else .............great MPG ........BUT .......now started using Supermarket fuels for the last few weeks and guess what .......great MPG ........50 mpg on the last tank full .....so ....????

Comment

Working...
          X