Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPF soot level app

Hi,

Don't know whether this has been posted before, I couldn't find anything searching anyway, so I thought I'd post it.

I've recently installed an free App on my android phone that displays the DPF soot level, along with distance since last regen and EGT. It does this using a bluetooth OBD dongle in the diagnostics port. The app is called Opl DPF monitor lite and is in Playstore. The dongle I have used it with is the Vgate iCar2 Mini OBD2 Bluetooth connector, which you can get on Amazon for less than £20.

I have tested this on my 2011 CDTI and it shows the same reading as opcom does, I have just done a 120 mile journey and you can see the soot levels increase as you drive, mine went from 40% to 51% in 120 miles.

Quite a useful app if you're diagnosing DPF problems as you can have it connected and displaying as you drive, or if you just want to know the soot levels or how quickly the DPF is filling up.

Regards,
    Andy

Very interesting Andy. Do you have any video you could upload?
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

I'll check that out thanks for the heads-up.
      I've been looking to get a OBD reader and a copy of Torque, I'll check out that model too, there's too many variations of probably the same Chinese cheapie on Ebay.

What I don't understand with a DPF is it filters the crap out before exhaust and then regens and throws all the crap out of the exhaust, is it some kind of inline sewerage farm that removes the carcinogenic shite before blowing out the soot?

Comment

Just ordered a bluetooth reader to try it out

Comment

Torque doesn't read the dpf on mine. Will give this app a try

Comment

Here's a link to a video of it as requested.

Comment

Well it's read mine at 78% with a distance of 670km. Not sure what exactly that means though

Comment

I can't find it on apple

sigpic

Comment

....and me ???

Comment

Originally posted by jmagee View Post
                    Well it's read mine at 78% with a distance of 670km. Not sure what exactly that means though
                    If the figure is correct, I would take that to mean it hasn't been able to regenerate properly during recent use (or a software bug has failed to regen when it should) and possibly one or more regens may not have properly completed.
                    I'd expect it to be trying to regenerate the next time you use the car, and is at risk of very soon flashing up the warning: 'particle filter full, keep driving' - if you don't let it complete, shortly after that you'll go into limp mode until a forced regen is performed.

Out of interest, what kind of driving has the car done in the last 670km (416 miles), especially the most recent driving?

Comment

It's only available for Android I think. Yes 78% must be about ready for a regen, mine's been up to 82% before so I wouldn't worry, it'll hopefully regen shortly,make sure you let it complete.

Comment

Did a long run last week and maybe done 100 miles since but been taking it easy due the egr housing leaking.

Comment

while on the subject of dpf has anyone got a link to a good how to for the regen led install?

thanks

Comment

Tutorial pokazujący jak zainstalować diodę sygnalizującą wypalanie DPF / FAP w Oplu Insignia / Vauxhall Insignia / Buick Regalmusic: Leslie's Strut - John De...

Comment

Originally posted by chili View Post
                              while on the subject of dpf has anyone got a link to a good how to for the regen led install?

thanks
                              The rear window demist comes on during a regen (yes, the rear window really does get hot but the demist button's light does not come on).
                              'Rear demist' is also listed as a top consumer in the eco menu.
                              Real-time mpg drops by nearly half (e.g. 25mpg on the motorway instead of 45mpg). Fuel consumption at idle increases from about 0.2gal/hr to 0.6gal/hr (assuming nothing else was running, such as aircon).

When I had my diesel Astra, nine times out of ten I could tell a regen was in progress because the car felt sluggish to drive. In winter when the blowers were set for warm air they would start piping through really hot air during a regen, especially if the regen was occurring when driving at speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X