Auto sticking in 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto sticking in 5th

Hi guys I have a 2.0cdti auto, when driving the car sometimes sticks in 5th when it should've gone to 6th. If I switch to manual and shift up it's fine but then if I switch back it will drop back 5th. But as I say it's not all the time. The car has just had a full service too if this helps?

Sounds like the same issue I have. During warm up of the engine mines will shift to 6th at about 90 km/h, but when the engine is warm it will drop out of 6th by just looking at the throttle, but only when the speed is below 120 km/h. At 130 it will stay in 6th. When accelerating to 120 it will remain in 5th when I expected it to shift to 6th. It does this the first +/- 30 km, then it behaves different and stays in 6th much longer, being able to accelerate from 90 to 130 in sixth.

Don't known what causes it, but it's good to hear others have the same issue.

Comment

Has yours been like it for a while then? It's only just started happening to me. Have you taken it anywhere to be looked at?

Comment

Not sure, I've only made 40.000 km with it yet. In the beginning I've been driving mostly 130 km/h so I didn't noticed, it was until I slowed down a bit I started to notice it. How many miles do you have on yours? Mines has just reached 220.000 km.

I haven't taken it anywhere to have it checked, but I'm thinking of having the transmission flushed in the future. Just have to find a good flusher (and some budget )

Comment

I've done around 94000 miles. I'm going to take my in and get it looked at.

Comment

Some oddball suggestions to consider.....

Is it possible that the car is trying to regenerate the DPF and therefore trying to keep the revs up?
            Next time it does it, check the 'top consumers' menu and see if 'rear window demist' shows, which is the marker for a regen.

Also, is it possible that it's staying in 5th due to higher than normal load on the engine - boot-full of junk, running aircon, demisters, lights, wipers, in-car gadgets?

Comment

DPF filter regeneration did came in mind the first time I noticed, however mine does it twice a day, after my 100km trip to work. I think if it's a regen it is doing it very often. It also only happens when the engine has just warmed up, not the moment I expect a regen. I don't have the top consumers menu, no ecu stuff on my car.
              Car load is low, only one person, empty boot, no hills over here. It happens with every weather condition, also when the climate control is off.
              The funny thing is, this afternoon it didn't happen got the first time in many many days.

Comment

Something wrong,if it's regenerating twice a day
                ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I don't actually have the top consumer menu, my car is a 2011 model. Is there any way to tell that it's trying to regen the dpf, I thought that you'd normally have a light come on the dashboard?

Comment

Just a thought,

So I had a enoying wine coming from the engine, which turned out to be the alternator, since it's been changed I've noticed the power steering in nicer/smoother. And the auto box seems to be changing smoother, and seems to change up quicker on lower revs.
                    Could it be a power issue, how much power does the auto box use.??
                    It could just be me convincing myself it's different since the alternator bug you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Darko84 View Post
                      I don't actually have the top consumer menu, my car is a 2011 model. Is there any way to tell that it's trying to regen the dpf, I thought that you'd normally have a light come on the dashboard?
                      No, it won't turn on a light on your dashboard. Only when it failed to complete regeneration a few times in succession it will warn you that you have to continue to drive. You could wire a LED to your heated mirrors as when the ECU decided to regenerate the DPF it will turn on the rear window heater, which also turns on the mirror heaters.

Did you went to a dealer to have it check out already?

I've found a document describing the gearbox as used in an Alfa 159, it does mention some special modes the box can detect, like hill descent and warming up phase, could be it's in one of those special modes?

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                        Something wrong,if it's regenerating twice a day
                        I might have written it a bit confusing (sorry, English isn't my native language) I meant to say I don't expect it is regenerating as I would expect an error code if it is required twice a day. It also doesn't show the effects of regeneration, no higher-then-expected fuel consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Darko84 View Post
                          Hi guys I have a 2.0cdti auto, when driving the car sometimes sticks in 5th when it should've gone to 6th. If I switch to manual and shift up it's fine but then if I switch back it will drop back 5th. But as I say it's not all the time. The car has just had a full service too if this helps?
                          Did you ever got talked to a dealer about this issue? Mines still does this the first 20 minutes when outside temperature is between about 10 and 35 degrees, but not when my speed was (shortly) above 140 km/h. Today this article was publish, I hope you can make something from the Google translate : VW auto box cheating. Looks similar to what Vauxhall is doing...

Comment

Originally posted by insignia tourer elite nav
                            ...mine does it pal was ok when I got it at 90.560 miles but now at 95.860 miles its sticks in 5th m8 but like all other faults ive had to repair on my 2011 elite tourer its life I paid too much for a ex company car ive been ripped off by the garage I got it from it sticks in 5th and sometimes goes to 6th its got a mind of its own but don't want to repair it has im keeping it I go on motorways still ok to drive m8 hope your sort the problem your not alone my 6 speed auto is faulty I bet its a expensive repair so im leaving mine has it is pal ,,,
                            I don't think my gearbox has an issue. It is doing it since I bought it, about 90.000 miles ago. Well, actually, when I bought it, it was below 10 degrees outside temperature so didn't show this behavior. It started doing it when the temperature riced above 10. I would expect it to fail horrible if this was an actual mechanical issue. As said, outside the temperature window and after 21 minutes or when the I ran shortly above 140 km/u, it functions perfectly, which makes me think this is a software issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X