DIY Alloy Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Alloy Refurb

I'm looking at doing a diy alloy refurb, my wheels are in pretty decent condition, no bad corrosion or kerbing
    the paint has dulled and gone slightly off colour on the fronts and one wheel has a small chip where i clipped a kerb and blew the tyre out while swerving to the left to miss a car who doesn't know how to stick to their lane and was in middle of the road
    I will be doing all 4
    Anyone recommend a decent filler they have used with good results?
    Also i read star silver is the best match to the oem colour but there are three variants, star silver I, II and III
    which is best to use?
    or does any recommend a different silver paint?
    ideally i would like a diamond cut look silver if any has experience with that

I recommend any decent filler, it will be covered by paint, just do a good job before starting the paint job. I do know Star Silver is used quite a lot, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1 2, or any other shade. Bear in mind you will be looking at a layer of paint, not burnished Aluminium. In a perfect World, you need a spare set of wheels so you can take your time.

Comment

I have a full size spare so can use that while i work on it and will do each wheel start to finish before moving onto the next

Comment

It's a time consuming job Mo,,,I refurbed the speed lines on my old siggy myself,one at a time,using the spacesaver to get me to work and back,,any body filler will do to fill any kerbing,,then plenty of elbow grease with wet and dry,,couple of coats of primer,,then a couple of coats of silver,,,I finished off with three or four coats of clear laquer,,bought all my tins before I started,primer,paint and laquer by same manufacturer,to avoid any paint reaction..did a thread on IE ,if it's still there
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

couldn't find the thread mate
          how many tins of primer paint lacquer did you use? i have speedlines too, a lot of surface area to cover

Comment

If I remember rightly ,2 primer,3 silver and 4 laquer
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

just priced up paint cost, cans are pretty expensive, its cheaper to buy ready mixed and filtered paint in a tin and a mini hvlp spray gun for my compressor

Comment

Be a good wee project to do a photo diary / how2 guide of if you decide to go ahead with this.

Comment

Working...
                X