Is it time???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time???

So I think my car might be telling me it's time to move on. Couple of months back the auxiliary belt went. Last month egr cooler housing. Last week air con. This morning got the dreaded svs light. Boost pressure is OK.

Booked into the garage for tomorrow anyway due to Aircon but starting to think it could just be time to move on.

I really love the car and hope it isn't but we'll see what is said tomorrow I think [emoji17]

It's served me well for 5 years and is now on 76000 miles.

most of the time its cheaper to fix a car than replace it, better the devil you know
    mines on 106k miles and have solenoid valve, egr housing, boost pipe changed as well as timing belt and water pump
    clutch and flywheel will need to be done in the next year or two and while the gear box is off i'll get my mechanic to drop the sump and change the oil pick up seal
    after that the car should be good for another 100k which i should be able to put on fairly quickly
    all that still cheaper than loosing money selling a car that needs work and then adding more money to buy something else that could give you issues straight away

Comment

It's possible that by the time you've sold the car there won't be any faults left to fix. And what's to say the replacement car won't have some faults?
      A common reason for selling a car is because there's a known or suspected problem. That's also why any secondhand car purchase needs to be looked at carefully - why didn't the previous owner want it?

Within a few hours of driving, my car (Insignia 2.8 4wd) flashed up the dreaded 'service 4wd' warning. I suspect that's why the previous owner part-ex'd it - they had probably heard about the £4k repair bill often associated with failed 4wd on Insignias. Fortunately the repair was 'only' several hundred pounds (and covered by warranty).
      The salesman who sold me the Insignia told me that my car's previous owner bought a 1.4T auto Astra K which has been less than satisfactory and I think the previous owner was hoping I might let them have the Insignia back - especially now the 4wd fault was fixed and less serious than the internet would have you believe.

Comment

I'd go with repairing the car. I've always done the repairs, at least you'll know it's right and like others have said, if you buy another second hand car who's to say you won't have problems that could work out late expensive. Either that or go with a seller you know and trust. Good luck with.

Comment

I'd be looking at an ex-demo or similar so hopefully with some warranty left and a decent history but I would rather repair and keep it. Fingers crossed....

Comment

basically what we are all saying is "jaime dont leave us!!!" and using the car as an excuse

Comment

I wouldn't leave you anyway. Don't think I'll ever find a better forum then this.

Comment

At 76k it is only just run-in. As has been said another car could have faults perhaps not too bad if you have a warranty (a neighbour of mines car went wrong a few weeks ago and he has a warranty and just had a big battle to get it fixed) but if private caveat emptor.

Comment

Seen siggys on autotrader with 200k mls + on the clock,,,if you like the car just get it looked at
                  ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Or....could be time for a bm.....
                    sigpic

Comment

Would love a f10 535d

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                        At 76k it is only just run-in. As has been said another car could have faults perhaps not too bad if you have a warranty .......but if private caveat emptor.
                        Every private advert I've responded to on Autotrader left me with a lot of suspicions after speaking with the seller to ask some of the important questions. It's enough to persuade me never to bother buying privately. I don't expect anyone to trust me if I try to sell privately either even though I wouldn't screw a private buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
                          Would love a f10 535d
                          My father-in-law has a late-2000s 3-series-M-sport with the manual 3-litre diesel six, but it's too hardcore and not comfy nor practical. Absolutely horrible ride quality for passengers and doesn't do well on potholed nor speed bump roads. However, the mother-in-law loves my Insignia (2.8 Elite auto) as does everyone else who has been in it.

Comment

Keep the car, get the AA warranty cover as it covers you for lots of things and they do pay out unlike some. And it will save any large bills

Comment

Well been quoted £400 to fix the Aircon and there are other niggling issues. I've got to say I think it's time to move on. It's had a good run, only problem is I've no idea what to get next.

Comment

Working...
                              X