Time for oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for oil change

Hi all down to 2% on oil life, time to change, is it best to stock with gm oil, or is there a better one for the coal burner??

Shell helix AG. Eurocarparts has it cheap with the discount codes they have every other day

Comment

Iv just paid £60 for new oil filter and change of oil, the garage used long life

Comment

Originally posted by Baz 160 nav View Post
        Iv just paid £60 for new oil filter and change of oil, the garage used long life
        And thats when i was told my oil is leaking from the crank seal :-(

Comment

never heard of long life oil for the insignia, i know the VW group use it
          do you know which brand details etc it was?

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
            never heard of long life oil for the insignia, i know the VW group use it
            do you know which brand details etc it was?

I dont mate, 5 - 30 thats all i know

Comment

Just been told long life is a better oil than normal...whatever normal is

Comment

And snake oil is the bestest ever, ask anyone on an hi fi forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz 160 nav View Post
                  Just been told long life is a better oil than normal...whatever normal is
                  Just hope the oil meats Dexos 2 specification if its needs that quality.

Comment

I have just changed mine, using genuine GM fully synthetic Dexos 2. The strange thing is, the oil life was showing 2%, and it had done 6000 miles!

Comment

Dexos 2 is long life oil.
                      It doesn't have to be changed at an interval.
                      The car itself decides when the oil needs changing, by monitoring the kind of driving you do.
                      Some folk go 18 k between changes.
                      This is why Dexos 2 was invented by Mobil.
                      Vauxhall pay a licence fee to use it as GM Oil.
                      I can already hear the historians saying rubbish its 6k for me I look after my engine.
                      These companies spend fortunes in Research and Development to make a great SAFE product.
                      Times have changed, its not just oil anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by mickyh7 View Post
                        Dexos 2 is long life oil.
                        It doesn't have to be changed at an interval.
                        The car itself decides when the oil needs changing, by monitoring the kind of driving you do.
                        Some folk go 18 k between changes.
                        This is why Dexos 2 was invented by Mobil.
                        Vauxhall pay a licence fee to use it as GM Oil.
                        I can already hear the historians saying rubbish its 6k for me I look after my engine.
                        These companies spend fortunes in Research and Development to make a great SAFE product.
                        Times have changed, its not just oil anymore.
                        Thanks for clearing that up, longlife is good oil then and up to standard , i always trust my garage anyway hes sound

Comment

I've tried the gm oil but i prefer shell helix. I know both are dexos 2 but the shell seems to run smoother. 107k on the clock and engine going strong.
                          The car calculates the percentage but miles and time. 20k or 1 yr which ever is sooner.
                          But just remember cars theses days are only designed to last 100k or 5yrs. Its proven that regular oil changes prolong the life of the engine
                          As micky said there's more to oil than just viscosity. So many sensors in the engine and turbos and dpf etc to the oil needs other properties too

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
                            I've tried the gm oil but i prefer shell helix. I know both are dexos 2 but the shell seems to run smoother. 107k on the clock and engine going strong.
                            The car calculates the percentage but miles and time. 20k or 1 yr which ever is sooner.
                            But just remember cars theses days are only designed to last 100k or 5yrs. Its proven that regular oil changes prolong the life of the engine
                            As micky said there's more to oil than just viscosity. So many sensors in the engine and turbos and dpf etc to the oil needs other properties too

Cars are only made to last 100 thousand ? Wtf ! Maybe 30 years ago but i think they are made to LAST these days, my siggy is on 139 thou and the only thing that had an advisory was the roll bar bush had slight movement, and yes i have a little oil leak but that will be fixed, i had a taxi 2weeks ago skoda and it was on 312 thou and was like a brand new car

Comment

My insignia is on 128k and I only use Gm dexo2 oil. Never had any engine problems whatsoever touch wood

Comment

Working...
                              X