Mpg 16 turbo petrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stepdavi View Post
    Just got 49mpg on a 600 mile round trip. About 2 thirds motorway and rest London roads from a 1.4t my16 hatch. Not fast at all but great on motorway. Impressed me anyway.
    What speed was your motorway driving?
    I find there's a big difference in mpg between a car travelling at 55-60mph compared to 75-80mph. Even when trying to press on at 75-80mph on some roads there can be a lot of lane-hoggers, lorries overtaking each other, roadworks or variable speed limits which force you to drive at 50-60mph for a lot of the time, thus helping your economy.
    I have yet to see with my own eyes a car that didn't show an mpg drop roughly in proportion to the increase in speed once above 40mph. Motorway road works with 40mph limit enforced by cameras are amazing for the mpg figure!

Comment

70-80 with flow of normal traffic. I've had plenty faster cars for for motorway speeds the 1.4 isn't as bad as people might think.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepdavi View Post
        70-80 with flow of normal traffic. I've had plenty faster cars for for motorway speeds the 1.4 isn't as bad as people might think.
        The 1.4T was the replacement for the 1.8 n/a. The 1.4T will be more economical in stop-start traffic but about the same out of town. Its turbo also means stronger mid-range which helps with accelerating but to get that extra mid-range shove it has to burn more fuel so if you use the turbo you'll use more fuel.

Our Zafira is one of the last with a 1.8 n/a engine and it's fine (officially about 11-12s 0-60mph). I don't feel that it needs to be any faster. However its modest mid-range torque means only five gears does and that means that the engine is revving quite high on the motorway and gets a bit noisy. It doesn't get much use on motorways so it's not a problem.

I think up to about 11-12s 0-60mph is OK but after that it can start to become hard work to safely join fast busy roads (e.g. A11, A14, M11) especially where the slip roads are short, or sharp bends, or uphill, or from stationary at T-junctions. I've had to join the A11 a few times in our 1-litre Viva (13-14s 0-60mph) and at T-junctions even when flooring it from a standing start it takes 20-25 seconds to reach 75mph.
        However, the Viva's small size, good manoeuvrability and small/economical engine makes it great for use in town or for commuting where a larger car would be difficult to manoeuvre/park and/or larger engine car would be thirsty.
        My wife's commute in Cambridge's heavy rush hour traffic achieves 45-50mpg in the Viva whereas in my 2.8 auto Insignia it would be 15-20mpg. That's 3x the fuel usage for the 2.8 compared to the 1-litre. Out of town the figures are much closer - about 60mpg for the 1L Viva and 40mpg for the 2.8L Insignia; only 1.5x the fuel usage.

Comment

Best she did,Climate control on,varied traffic speeds 40 to around 80 mph 47.9 North Wales to Torquay,happy with that.
          Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Working...
          X