Bumper Scuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper Scuff

Some ASDA parker scuffed the corner of my front bumper today . Not TOO bad but it needs sorted. I'm wondering whether I could do it myself with one of these aerosol kits http://www.carpaintrepair.co.uk/acat...ray-Paint.html . Anyone used this kind of spray? Any tips? It's mostly just rubbed through the paint to white showing through but there are a couple of deeper marks. Does Isopon or similar work OK on the bumper?

do you have any photos? with scuffs some of the damage will be their paint rubbing onto your car
    you can wet sand and polish most of this damage off, and any of the damage that is your paint removed can be filled and touched up

wet sand with 2500 grit and polish first and see how it goes before trying anything else

Comment

No photos - absolutely tipping down today!

Had a quick shuftie last night. As you suggested quite a bit of the marks just rubbed off with some T-cut and polish although it's left some rubbing in the paint that might T-cut out or might not. There are some rubs where the paint is right through and white showing. The worst bits are 2 spots about the size of a 10p where the plastic is scraped with a slight depression and a ridge on the trailing edge which will need to be tidied up and filled.

Is something like Isopon body filler OK for that? I suppose I'd be best to sand the whole area gently and spray it (see link in my first post) rather than try to touch up the individual marks?
      Last edited by boba; 18-08-2017, 04:40 PM. Reason: Corrected the damn spelling checker!

Comment

Probably best to sand and spray the whole area instead of trying to do spot repairs just so that it will blend into the rest of the bumper

2015 SRI 2.0CDTI ecoderp hatch

Comment

^ what he said

And yep isopon will work fine. Make sure your prep is spot on before you paint

Comment

OK so I've bitten the bullet and sanded off the high spots, filled the small indentations and rubbed them down and polished things up with 400 wet&dry. It looks worse ;( but it feels OK.

So I'm going to try painting it now - never done this before to my pride and joy, and I'm doing it in place as I need to have the car available at short notice! Should I go over a larger area with the wet&dry or is there something better to make sure it's prepped? Will it be OK if the primer or paint or lacquer goes onto a bit of the bumper that I haven't rubbed down? There isn't a handy line anywhere that I can paint up to and I can't do the whole bumper so will it be OK just to kind of blow over things a bit? Do I just give it a bit of polish afterwards?

Lots of questions I know but I'm grateful for any advice.

Comment

Mask off the good area. Use a high build primer. Give it a few coats. Sand it until its smooth with 2000grit. Unmask. Apply the colour with a light dusting to overlap onto the good areas. Then clear coat overlapping a bit more on the good area. After a few days wet sand lightly with 2500/3000 grit. Then machine polish

Comment

The painting seems to have come out OK. Just a little line noticeable against the sunlight at the bottom where I missed rubbing down one of the masking tape lines. So I'll fix that tomorrow then just a rub and polish. It's actually turned out very well and I'm pretty pleased with it. Only cost £19 for the paint which is considerably better than a pro job and it's a really good match. Car is 3 years old so I was a little worried it might have faded a bit.

Comment

Glad to hear it turned out ok. Not bad for £19 can't really go wrong. I've got a black zafira that reversed into a wall to fix at some point. Don't mind as i enjoy working on cars and only charge cost and some tea for family and friends

Comment

Working...
                  X