Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice needed restoring alloys

Hi members,

I found a set of secondhand 19inch alloys OEM Opel/Vauxhall, only problem is that they seem to have noticable curbdamage. On the Opel website it says that these are polished alloys. Did some research and contacted a few companies, seems that a repair of polished alloys need special treatment for restoring and way more expensive than sprayed alloys What do u guys think, worth trying a DIY ? abrasive paper, polish pad on a drilling machine,... No budget to spend 180 euros per alloy wheel . Example:

Insignia 2012 1.4 Turbo 140HP.
    Led DRL, megawhite headlight 6000K, Led numberplate, Led reverse light. 19inch OEM alloys, chrome handles, plastidipped grill, OEM rear-side window shades, LED pack interior lights, chrome vents...

That is not just kerb damage, but some corrosion. You would be better off sourcing another set & use these for the winter. There are quite a few coming up on ebay, some needing a refurb, some perfect, and a wide choice of styles. It just depends on what you want. If you wanted to restore alloys yourself, you would need a spare set, as it is very time consuming. Once you decide on your dream alloys, you then have a choice of colour, graphite perhaps?

Comment

Clean the back of them, the inside and see if it's primered. They're the same wheels I have and mine are paint/clear.

Comment

There's a thread here, wanting to swap same alloys for 18's. One of which has been refurbished, ask Paul.

Failing that, it's just a piece of alloy, I guess refurb to a polished finish is a different process, but surely just blasting and repainting can be done on any wheels.

Comment

sand off all the paint and corrosion, fill any damaged areas, sand again, primer, sand, paint, clearcoat
          will take time but doing it yourself will be cheaper

Comment

Thx for the replies, strangly enough on the official website it states that they are polished (and maybe finished with clear coat). After all the replies I decided not to go for these ones and look out for a set in a more decent state , not requiring a refurbish... I'm not that handy when it comes to paint,spray,sanddblast,etc
            Led DRL, megawhite headlight 6000K, Led numberplate, Led reverse light. 19inch OEM alloys, chrome handles, plastidipped grill, OEM rear-side window shades, LED pack interior lights, chrome vents...

Comment

A decent set will come up, at the right price.

There were always my favourite wheels when I had my old Insignia, I waited for the right one when I bought this car, they're a smart looking wheel if you do go for this style. They were the most expensive cost option, £1485, even more than the 20" wheels, just to bear in mind when looking at the 2nd hand price.

There's a lot of metal in them for sure, I don't know if this means less brake cooling or more heatsink cooling, the front do get warm after a long journey.

Comment

how much were those alloys going for? what's your budget alloys inc refurb or alloys in good condition?

Comment

yeah I love them as well, I want to keep the business look but smooth (don' know how to say it ) I found another set this afternoon, tmrw morning I'm going over there to have a look. They are for sale for 400 euros since 3 months but the price is negociable (because they don't find a buyer I suppose). The set I found today is almost in newstate, no curb damage (just a little bit on 1), so I think this will be a bargain. The only thing missing are the caps with the Opel logo on, but I think that the caps currently on my OEM 17inchers will fit, no ?

Comment

Bought the set this morning for 300 euros (coming from 400euros), really not any damage except one a little bit, tyres have good profile left. What a bargain ! Very satisfied...

Comment

Looks good dude!! For the one that's damaged, you might be able to get away with filing in any damage with liquid metal, sanding it down then painting it but the colour match might be hard to get right.

A alloy wheel company could probably repair them for 60euros ish.

2015 SRI 2.0CDTI ecoderp hatch

Comment

Working...
                      X