Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant loss

Good afternoon folks,

I have just purchased a 2.0CDTi SRi Insignia with some issues......

Story is that it was driven back from Germany and on leaving the ferry it overheated.. AA attended and stated that the thermostat was faulty, removed said item and the car was driven 200miles home. Car was then taken in a garage (well Halfords) where the thermostat was replaced. It was then that Halfords placed a massive "to do" list on the car - my entrance.

I bought the car and have repaired all on the "to do" list, I then drove the car to refuel and discovered a coolant loss. Not a seeping loss, we are talking a lot. However once on a ramp Saturday and having emptied the expansion tank in 3 miles, I could not locate a leak. Eventually I discovered that the leak appears to be conditional... when the heater is set to low the coolant leaks from somewhere at the back of the engine, all I could see was above the starter motor and below the manifold there is a plastic box of tricks clipped together with metal clips, the coolant was dripping off there. Given the location you cannot see.

As I said it is conditional, I drove the 3 miles back home with the heater set on 22 and it has not used any water!!!

On one forum someone has stated that the inlet manifold gasket had gone? Is that a common issue??

Has anyone any knowledge, common faults before I start stripping it down?

Regards

Karlos3551

Take it to good independent mechanic ..not Halfruads .

Comment

Having now stripped it down, inlet manifold off. I have discovered a pin holed core plug at the back of the block!! VOR order from Vauxhall.

Comment

How did the heater setting affect this then?

Comment

I have absolutely no idea - can only think that the extra flow to the heater stopped it leaking. Was only a pinhole.

Comment

Inlet manifold off not a cheap or easy job. At least its sorted. Plug itself is cheap I assume? Well done.

Comment

Working...
            X