Lights not self leveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights not self leveling

Looking some guidance before the car goes into the dealer to have the above fault looked at.

In short the error saying 'lights auto leveling fault' appeared on a wet night last week. Immediately the AFL error came up as well so I assume they are linked. It's the drivers light that won't level, seems to aim down and right when the fault is there. Auto main beam still works even with the fault in place on the dash.

It's intermittent and only occurs when driving in rain. Obviously my suspicion is water getting in somewhere and being dried by the heat in the lamp after the cars sitting for a bit.

Wondering if any of you have an idea as to what I should look for or if it's best to let her go into the dealer on Friday and hope it's a warranty item. It's a used car warranty so I'm not overly hopeful.

Thanks

Well hopefully you get sorted under warranty,can be expensive with afl’s.
    sure Few on here have had problems with the levelling situation,weekend,so sure help will be on its way.
    sigpic

Comment

Oh,and I forgot,try disconnecting the battery for 10 minuets or so.

its a siggy solution for many problems
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Logosgil View Post
        Oh,and I forgot,try disconnecting the battery for 10 minuets or so.

its a siggy solution for many problems
        Thanks Logosgil, tried the battery trick but nothing doing. Chatting to the dealer seeing her on Friday and he reckoned there was an update from VX for this. Not sure on that, a software update to solve what seems to be a rain related issue doesn't sound right. Time will tell.

Comment

Car back this evening. VX did a software up as there was a recall on the zenons for this. Still don't follow how a software update will fix an issue that only appears in heavy rain but we'll see. I suspect this is but my first trip in with this issue.

Comment

Possibly, if it was occurring when wipers were on (and not just wet) the software update may address this? I dont think it likely either though. But you never know though.
            Other than that there is a level sensor on each front wishbone and one on the rear, nearside I think, trailing arm, I remember seeing it on rear when I was doing a wheel bearing but cant remember exact position. Perhaps one of the connectors to these is letting water in. Worth checking pins if the problem persists.

Comment

By way of an update. When washing the car I got the error today. Normally wash, dry and stick her in the garage but for various child related issues today it was driven to dry. Error came up within 1 minute of starting, stayed for about 20 mins of driving then disappeared. Dealer will be called Monday morning. It definately seems to be water at the driverside headlight unit someway. Washing wouldn't have effected sensors under the car and no other rain related systems were on, it was a surprisingly nice day here.

Comment

When you're washing wheels water can get through he wheel to the wishbone, the sensor is here. Just a thought. If the headlight unit was leaking you'd know with fogging? I'd say its a sensor not headlight.

Comment

Buttons a fair point, hadn't thought of that. I'll raise it with the dealer and ask them to check the sensors. Only thing is it's only the drivers side light that doesn't level, passenger one does even with the fault on the dash. That's why I was looking towards a problem local to that light, I assume the sensors are common. With checking nevertheless. Thanks.

Comment

Theres one either side on the front and one on the rear nearside, not sure how they all work, individually or in tandem etc? Just a thought. Could well the light itself.

Comment

Buttons, looks like you were onto something after all. Rear axle sensor had a fault registered on the system. New sensor ordered so I'll have to wait a few days before it gets fitted. All under warranty so just time to me. We'll have to see if this does it, next concern is MOT during January if this doesn't fix it we're running out of time.

Comment

Car back in tomorrow, error reappeared on the dash in heavy rain on Thursday. Dealer has booked her for the morning tomorrow and then two full days, Wednesday and Thursday, in case he needs to order something. MOT is on Thursday evening. Am I right in thinking there are two more sensors that might need replaced and then the headlight itself, all the brains for this are in the headlight? I rather suspect a headlight leveling error on the dash will fail me the MOT...

Comment

Car back this evening. Seems VX have a bulletin out on this. If the replacement rear sensor doesn't work then both headlights need replaced. Warranty company is going to love me..... Bright side, I get two new headlight units. To be fitted on Thursday ready for the MOT that evening.

Comment

Eddie, how old is the car? Facelift or Pre-facelift?
                            Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                              Eddie, how old is the car? Facelift or Pre-facelift?
                              She is just coming up to her first MOT so 4 years old and she is a facelift elite spec.

Comment

Working...
                              X