Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Grand Sport ordered - Any Bulb details

Hi All,

New Grand Sport ordered for delivery in January. Ordered the SRi ( Ireland) spec with the upgraded instrument cluster and park assit pack as options. Colour Cosmic Grey.

Now i have to fill my time until it arrives.. I could not stretch the budget to intellilux leds so I will set about buying the bits to upgrade the halogens when it arrives.

Any advice from those of you who have already taken the plunge ?

Led or HID for low beam ?.
    High beam ??? - HID no good due to warm up time

What are the busb types - H7 I think for both.. correct ?.

Thanks in advance for any tips

Cosmic Grey sounds nice. Not seen any in the flesh but they look lovely on the internet.

Yeah, H7 in dipped and H7 in main.

I've got a hid kit with 5000k H7R bulbs in my dipped beam and an led kit with 6500k H7 bulbs in main beam.

Here are how the lights look with halogens in,

And how they look with the above mentioned in,

A little video I made of the HIDs and LEDs (already on the forum but in case you missed it )
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Thanks Marko,

Looks fab.. any reason (apart from the cost) you didnt put LED in both?

Also why two different colour temps ?

Do you have any links for the bits ?

Comment

I had an LED kit in my previous Insignia (facelift) and the bulb portion that carried the LED chips was quite wide. That particular kit is pretty dear (getting on for £120 without discount codes) so when I bought the Grand Sport I decided to fit an hid kit because the dipped headlights have a metal sheath inside to give the cut off line and I was unsure whether the LED bulbs would fit.

I then bought a cheaper LED kit for around £55 for the main beam because they don't have the sheaths. My plan was to also try them in the dipped beam to see if they fit within the metal sheath and if they did, buy some for those too. I tried them and they fitted and looked great but they threw up a bulb out message even though they're supposed to work in the majority of canbus vehicles. I want to buy the ones I had in my facelift but I'm worried they will throw up the same message (though they worked without issue in the facelift).

The reason for the different colour temperatures is I find 5000k the best colour match to the DRLs so bought the HIDs to reflect this. I haven't yet found any LED kits with a lower colour temperature than 6000/6500k.

I do find LED colour temperature less blue than the equivalent HID bulb though.

Here is a photo of the metal sheath with the LED fitted. Shame it threw up the bulb out message.

Link to the HID kit https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/new-pr...canbus-system/

I got the cheaper LED kid from Amazon but the link in my orders is now opening a different listing by the seller.

This is the link to the more costly LED kit http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/led-hea...d-headlight-v2 They're running a discount code 25% off atm but that's still around 90 quid. A lot of money if they throw up messages.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Thank you so much. Great info..

Comment

Welcome and enjoy your new motor..seems a shame to have a new car with halogens lights in these modern times
            sigpic

Comment

Agreed. And I can’t believe the projectors are gone too. No worries the HID’s will sort it out :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Defie View Post
                Agreed. And I can’t believe the projectors are gone too. No worries the HID’s will sort it out :-)
                They'll be saving the projectors for the facelift in a few years time.

Comment

And we will all take the bait and spend more money and upgrade.

Apple business model

Comment

H Marko,

Two more questions if you dont mind..

I have ordered the HID kit for the dipped beam. I have gone with the one you purchased. Questions are..

You went for the 35W HID’s and not 55W. Any particular reason ?
                    Did you ever get an LED for the main beam that did not throw a bulb out message ?

Thanks in advance and sorry to be a pain..the joys of being early adopters of new models

Comment

I use 35w because they are bright enough. From what I hear, 55w are even brighter. I'm 99.9% sure I'm not dazzling any other drivers with the 35w kit. I don't want to push my luck with a 55w kit just in case.

The leds in the. Main beam don't throw up any errors. They only threw up errors when I tried them in dipped. I'm pretty sure main beam isn't canbus.

I'm still planning on buying the more costly LEDs for dipped beam. Hopefully before Christmas. I'll update if I do.

Comment

Perfect..thank you.

The guy on amazon has changed the product on the link you provided they are not H7. Do you know the brand name of the LED in the mains and I can try find them elsewhere ?

Sorry for another question

Comment

The only information I have on them is this. There was nothing on the box or the bulbs.

I will add....I've since cut a little off the heat sink because the tops pressed against the light cover so it might be worth looking for bulbs with the mesh heat sink. They are working fine though. Had them on on the way back from the coast tonight and they lit the road better than the halogens did.

Comment

Hi Marko,

Sorry to bug you again..mt new wheels have arrived and i have already changed main and dipped beam for HID and LED..delighted with the result..

I also bbought a set of LED fog lamp bulbs so i can have all matching at the front but i am struggling to understand how to change them. Looking at the manual it appears simple but after removing the small cover and the screw as per the manual I cannot seem to get the cover to come off.

Have you changed the fog light bulbs ..?.

Comment

I haven't touched the fog lights so don't have a clue, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X