should I stay or should I go now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I stay or should I go now

Should I keep my 2102 Biturbo with 230,000kms. I do 50k km/yr.
    OK, before now I never had a doubt, but had the dreaded oil pressure low flash up and had the car lifted to garage with new oil seal fitted @€400. Seal was hard and had lost flexibility. Looks like it was caught in time and engine running well after 1,500km. Oil on the dipstick clean and no shinny bits of bearing in it.
    I've had on my mind the last few months replacement of the nearside inner CV joint which is in need of replacement. That in itself is not expensive.
    But I'm currently trying to diagnose a vibration from the engine. Its not gearbox related as its there whether driving/stationary/in gear/out gear.
    I had a look today at the crankshaft pulley with the vibration damper-and all is fine.
    I took off the upper timing belt cover and the belt seems loose, in that between the fuel pump pulley and the camshaft pulley I can lightly press the belt downwards enough and spin the idler pulley. Is that normal or is the belt loose? The belt set up on the Biturbo is slightly different than on other diesels, Does a incorrectly tensioned belt give rise to engine vibrations at certain points up the rev range?
    The other possibility is a flywheel in need of replacement, though there is no rattle etc and no signs of wear.
    Clutch is smooth with no apparent problems.
    Worst case scenario is piston ring and/or valve failure and compression problems, though the engine is running good with no problems.
    Do I change clutch+flywheel and hope that sorts it?
    Do I change timing belt and tensioner?
    Or do I get out now?
    Deep question! I love my Biturbo but this is the first time I've ever had engine/drive-train issues on a car and I've clocked up many more miles than this on other cars.

You need to ask yourself how much would the work cost to have done for a start , then would this sort the problem ?
    If it does not what would be next on the list , then how much is the car worth with mileage that high ?
    And the next big question how much is it going to cost to replace the car with something else , a running car is worth more than a dead one to trade in ?

Comment

Belt does sound a little loose,
      Who much is it to have Cam belt done, if you sell car privately , proof of belt being done helps sell the car.
      Bottom pulley doesn't always show signs of it being broken, so try running car with pulley off to see if it's the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Lff64 View Post
        You need to ask yourself how much would the work cost to have done for a start , then would this sort the problem ?
        If it does not what would be next on the list , then how much is the car worth with mileage that high ?
        And the next big question how much is it going to cost to replace the car with something else , a running car is worth more than a dead one to trade in ?
        Exactly as above, word for word, was in the same position as you last year, couldn't figure out what the idling problem & limb mode fault was with my Vectra C, spent a few quid on it swapping out parts to no avail, checked Garages still didn't get it sorted, in the end had to cut it loose, still for the mileage done and period I had it over 10 years, it paid for itself ten times over 1.8 pre facelift, gutted to see it go, Hid's, half leather interior, sat nav fitted in dash, rear courtesy light, tyres good as new, eibach springs and PI Shocks, Sri Headlights, the list goes on, gutted to see it go, but then I need a "reliable Car" , looks like you have done well out of your insignia, if Garage can guarantee to resolve fault then go for it, otherwise sorry to say, cut her loose.

Comment

All depends how much it would cost and would it solve the issues. Next question is will you be in the next 6 months get bored of your car after the issue is fixed.

Comment

Could it be a dodgy injector as you have done a lot of miles. I'm surpised you didn't do the timing belt when the oil seal was getting done? When was the water pump last changed as it is the pump that usually siezes and throws the belt?
            Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

The problem is I suppose if I spend any more money I'm committed to keeping it, and I have this niggly feeling that it'll need more money spent. The timing belt was changed at 90k miles and not due again for another 40k miles. I didnt change it when I got the oil seal done as there was no benefit in doing the two together. If I knew whats causing the vibration I'd be in a better position I suppose in that I'd know what to fix and how much it would cost. Decisions decisions.

Comment

So you're working on changing the water pump every 90k miles?
                Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

evans halshaw vauxhall charge a fixed price £269 including vat for timing belt, not bad for a main dealer and you get the vauxhall stamp in the book

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                    So you're working on changing the water pump every 90k miles?
                    Service interval for the timing belt is 150k kms. so yes. Water pump was changed at the last timing belt change.

Comment

Working...
                    X