Diesel to vxr ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel to vxr ??

So I like my insignia cdti 160 auto, but I'm thinking, what difference would it be cost wise to having a vxr.

Tax, insurance, fuel.?

Tax ,500 a year,,fuel economy,about 20 mpg ,if you're lucky
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Well I had a vxr.
      its some motor.as exclusiv says 500 on the road tax,insurance want to bad for me.
      fuel economy,that got me...you actually get sick of going to the petrol station.

but all that said ..plodding along in 6th,sud I overtake.into 3rd ..boooom.f**ing scary power and great fun.

Now to be sensible would you buy one ,no!

but I did and loved it.
      sigpic

Comment

You could convert one to run on LPG, then your fuel cost are about the same as an 160ps diesel with automatic. Your range however is far less then a diesel one.

Comment

Its a shame there's not many stations offering lpg. Its cheap and very clean

Comment

If you buy one, make sure you have access to £2-4k in case maintenance/wear-and-tear/repair work needs doing several months down the line. The same applies to any performance car; you can't expect to run a VXR on the same budget as a cheap town runabout and you can't expect a highly complex car to be as reliable as a simple, front-wheel-drive, non-turbo Honda Jazz.

Road tax (£500/yr, £550 for auto), tyres (£200 each), brakes and clutch are all very expensive.

15mpg around town, 35mpg on the motorway.

Requires £500 Haldex/4wd service every 2yrs/20k (not mentioned in service schedule).

Watch out for people offloading their VXR when they suspect a problem with the 4wd (bad batch of parts or lack of 4wd servicing) or timing chains (bad batch 2009-11) because the bill to put it right can run to half the value of the car, although immediate action tends to result in a much lower bill whereas delaying a few days can wreck the whole 4wd and possibly gearbox too.

Pre-2012 VXRs are more likely to suffer mechanical problems and they also have a different, louder exhaust which allows better gas flow (slightly more response) and are mapped for more pop-pop-bang during upshifts when thrashing it. When I test-drove a 2011 VXR the exhaust sound during its fast-idle warm up was unbearable when standing behind the car; not a car to start up when kids are asleep.

Personally, I felt the ground clearance of the VXR was too low; easy to scuff speed bumps or scuff/ground the front underside on kerbs when manoeuvring or parking.

Also not a fan of the extra bling - the front bumper cut-outs look wrong and the seats looks out of place considering fast BMW and Mercedes cars do just fine with 'normal' seats.

Comment

Here's a Youtube clip where someone recorded the exhaust sound on startup.
              The VXR does a rather noisy fast idle for about 30 seconds after startup if the engine is cold; less if the engine is still warm from previous use.

-

I had the opportunity to spend some time driving the latest Opel Insignia OPC. It has a 2.8 litre V6 turbo that produces an impressive 325hp!This is a short ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
                Its a shame there's not many stations offering lpg. Its cheap and very clean
                Checked Northampton there is one on the A45

Comment

that's on the opposite side of town from me, a lot of effort to fill up

the gov wants people to be green and save the planet so i dont see why they dont make lpg more available, poland and many other countries runs off lpg/cng no issues, some manufactures even have lpg versions of their cars out the factory the cora dual fuel being one of them

Comment

LPG is indeed very cheep, I used to drive a Corsa 1.2 on LPG, no fun driving it, but the price per km made up a lot. I think the biggest issue with LPG is the range, I use one tank of diesel each week, with the Corsa I had to refuel it each other day. I do drive past an LPG station each day, so not a big de-tour for me.

Comment

if lpg was common then companies would make larger tanks to replace the petrol tank like they do for land rovers
                      atm you need to use donut tanks in the wheel well, plus side the insignia has a huge wheel well so you can fit a decent size tank in there
                      lpg performance is close to petrol if the system is properly calibrated when installed, and when you floor it the system automatically switches over to petrol temporarily to give the extra power

Comment

Morrisons do LPG and would probably be in there every day gassing up

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
                          Here's a Youtube clip where someone recorded the exhaust sound on startup.
                          The VXR does a rather noisy fast idle for about 30 seconds after startup if the engine is cold; less if the engine is still warm from previous use.

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bSF3QdHQig
                          That sounds like a bag of spanners dropped down a drain pipe when cold and my jag when its warm

Comment

if lpg was common then companies would make larger tanks to replace the petrol tank like they do for land rovers
                            atm you need to use donut tanks in the wheel well, plus side the insignia has a huge wheel well so you can fit a decent size tank in there
                            lpg performance is close to petrol if the system is properly calibrated when installed, and when you floor it the system automatically switches over to petrol temporarily to give the extra power
                            The maximum tanksize for a Vialle LPi installation seems to be 55 liters for a sport tourer, that's not too big, 44 liters netto .
                            Performance of a good LPG installation is indeed close (or even better) that running on petrol. My father's-in-law VXR had about 10% more torque running on LPG, don't known if switched back to petrol on high loads.

Comment

that's on the opposite side of town from me, a lot of effort to fill up

the gov wants people to be green and save the planet so i dont see why they dont make lpg more available, poland and many other countries runs off lpg/cng no issues, some manufactures even have lpg versions of their cars out the factory the cora dual fuel being one of them
                              I'm thinking of converting to LPG. A45 is ideal for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X