Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Sport Tourer roof bars and bike carrier

Hi

The bars running either side along the length of the roof have pairs of holes set in them an 3 intervals. I assume this is a fixing point for horizontal roof bars. What roof bars are compatible with these, and where can I get some?

I want to mount a couples of bikes on the roof, any recommendations for reasonable priced bike carrier kits is welcome.

TIA

Padster
    2011 2.0 CDTI 160 ecoflex Sport Tourer

I have been looking at roof bars. You can get some genuine Vauxhall bars on eBay for about £125. There are some universal bars by Maypole and Summit that are about £80 to £90.

Comment

The holes take pegs on the bars to provide location.

I've got the GM bars and seem very good. Hunt around - found mine on Gumtree s/h. Bars plus genuine rubber mats and boot mat £120.

Comment

Gumtree is the best place i found. I got mine for a mear £40 and they were genuine to

Comment

I sold my genuine bars for £40 when I sold the car. Keep an eye out. Bargains to be had

Comment

I was also looking, there are a few sets on ebay and the like for about £60 on for the tourer. Ended up getting a pair for the hatch, easy to fit but noisy on a motorway

Comment

I made an offer of £90 for a brand new genuine set on ebay and got them. Now to find a bike carrier.

Comment

Might be worth going to halfords for info then looking on the net

Comment

I do alot of mountain biking (out 3 times a week Monday to Friday and once on the weekend) I also travel to the Alps once a year. Its a little more expensive but if I was you I would honestly get a towbar and a towbar mounted bike rack (may have one for sale shortly). When I first had my Insignia I put the bike on the roof but it is honestly like a bloody sail and you are restricted with car parks and drive thru's for example. Also the bikes will wobble slightly regardless of what rack you get.

On the towbar they are behind the car so not in the wind, always in your view so you can see them and make sure they are not moving or coming loose, easier to mount as you do not have to lift them up and you are not restricted with height restrictions. Most bike racks will fold away so you can still access the boot aswell with the bikes in place

Comment

Originally posted by Snake View Post
                    I made an offer of £90 for a brand new genuine set on ebay and got them. Now to find a bike carrier.
                    Bike carrier for the roof the very best out of all I tried before going onto the tow bar are these... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/t...||prd|499321UK

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPPY-WOOLLEY View Post
                      Bike carrier for the roof the very best out of all I tried before going onto the tow bar are these... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/t...||prd|499321UK
                      My in-laws have got a spare Thule carrier which has hardly been used. It's only for my daughter's bike which is a 23inch wheel so it's not that big or heavy.

Comment

180 for halfords own, 230 for thule. was in there the other day just to get pricing, scandalous

Comment

The trouble is bars for closed rails are double the price for open rails. Farad roof bars are about £90 and have good reviews.

Comment

im thinking of getting the farad ones, as low as 80 on fleabay. but still keep looking elsewhere. found a guy in hull selling a set of thule, agreed on 80 inc postage, but he wouldnt accept paypal, wouldnt send pics of bars, and wouldnt prove his address with a utiity bill or other proof. not risking a bank transfer with some random guy.

Comment

Originally posted by daz7505 View Post
                              im thinking of getting the farad ones, as low as 80 on fleabay. but still keep looking elsewhere. found a guy in hull selling a set of thule, agreed on 80 inc postage, but he wouldnt accept paypal, wouldnt send pics of bars, and wouldnt prove his address with a utiity bill or other proof. not risking a bank transfer with some random guy.
                              There was a set of vauxhall bars going for £124 on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                              X