No announcement yet.

Infotainment system/Info display fuse 4 keeps blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone else who has had this problem, after 2 days of stripping the car I found the problem and it's quite serious.

Fuse 5 in the glovebox was permanently live - even with the ignition off.. as soon as I tried to replace the fuse it blew.

So.. it was time for a good old bulb test- I put a bulb on two pieces of wire and inserted the ends into the fuse slot.. obviously the bulb stayed lit as it had a permanent feed..

After 2 hours of checking wiring and unplugging bits and Bobs I found it.. I shook the center console & armrest and the bulb went out... I knew that somewhere in there was a wire going to ground.

I stripped the centre console and armrest out and there it was.. a piece of loom had been rubbing on a bracket bolted to the shell floor and literally burned through.. it had been on fire at some point but fortunately didnt catch.

Stripped the wires back and put new sections in and now the radio and nav screen work perfectly..

The fuse in the glovebox no longer blows.. the loom repaired was for the USB and jax sockets under the armrest. They share the same red and green wire..

This fault has definitely caused other damage.. all back together but I've no headlights or windscreen wipers now.. I'll fix that & keep you posted. Must be relay that's burned through somewhere

Comment

Nice work !
      The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherlee View Post
        For anyone else who has had this problem, after 2 days of stripping the car I found the problem and it's quite serious.

Fuse 5 in the glovebox was permanently live - even with the ignition off.. as soon as I tried to replace the fuse it blew.

So.. it was time for a good old bulb test- I put a bulb on two pieces of wire and inserted the ends into the fuse slot.. obviously the bulb stayed lit as it had a permanent feed..

After 2 hours of checking wiring and unplugging bits and Bobs I found it.. I shook the center console & armrest and the bulb went out... I knew that somewhere in there was a wire going to ground.

I stripped the centre console and armrest out and there it was.. a piece of loom had been rubbing on a bracket bolted to the shell floor and literally burned through.. it had been on fire at some point but fortunately didnt catch.

Stripped the wires back and put new sections in and now the radio and nav screen work perfectly..

The fuse in the glovebox no longer blows.. the loom repaired was for the USB and jax sockets under the armrest. They share the same red and green wire..

This fault has definitely caused other damage.. all back together but I've no headlights or windscreen wipers now.. I'll fix that & keep you posted. Must be relay that's burned through somewhere
        Windscreen wipers could be a fuse. Headlights are controlled by the canbus system there's no fuse for them.

Nice work though

Comment

Thanks for the reply.. I didn't know they were controlled by the canbus. Is that a reprogramming job then?

Comment

Have your headlights ever worked? Any idea why they don't work / same with the wipers

Comment

Yes - the car was fine before this damaged wire.. headlight fault only started today

Comment

I wouldn't have thought they were related. Any messages on the dash? Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a bit.

Comment

The VX is fixed and lives to see another day.

The three 10mm bolts which hold the main fuse box were corroded and not earthing the circuit for the fuse box.

Cleaned them up and everything works as it did before the damaged loom incident.

Anyone who has radio / nav screen issues.. definitely check the loom under the centre armrest / console.

It took me 3 days to find it, and fix it but I believe it could be a common issue due to the way the loom is routed.

Happy to post pics if anyone needs them.

Comment

I'm glad you fixed it , it must of been a complete head scratcher trying to diagnose that .but with your patience you nailed it .
                    Get some pictures put up , because anything to help others with possibly the same issue is the way forums work

.K.M.P.C.U
                    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                    X