1.4 turbo s/s 30mpg????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.4 turbo s/s 30mpg????

Hi, just got a 2012 1.4 turbo petrol with start/stop and it is only achieving 30mpg mainly round town. i know it is due a service but can't see that making much difference.

It is on a a full set of winter tyres so hopefully once I change them mpg will improve.

Is this normal mpg for the 1.4 turbo??

I'm not surprised. Winter mpg is usually poor for most cars.
    My wife's little 1-litre town car is only managing 40-45mpg at the moment. Out of town in summer the same car can achieve 60-65mpg.

My (2.8) Insignia will only manage about 15mpg in town at this time of year although I don't take it in town very often - I use a smaller car.
    Due to the prolonged spell of cool weather all our cars are showing very poor mpg.

In winter, engines take longer to warm up and a engine not up to temperature uses much more fuel.
    Also we use more lights, wipers, rear window/mirror heating wires, fan-heaters and blowers/demisters (which use the aircon) which put extra demand on the engine.
    And cold air is more dense than warm air so air resistance increases by perhaps 10% in winter although air resistance is less significant the slower you go.

Comment

Working...
    X