Cambelt changed 'just in time'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambelt changed 'just in time'...

Due to the sudden influx of folks asking questions about cam-belts, i booked my car into the local Garage to have it's cam-belt changed, (quoted £357 all in). the car is currently at just over 72000 miles

Got them to fit a 'Gates' kit, (new belt, water pump, tensioners and pulleys) and change the Aux Belt as well.

Anyhooo, got the car back after a couple of hours and as per the garages 'policy' they showed me the parts they had replaced.
    The water pump had a 'small' squeak when rotated, the tensioners were not bad, just showing their ages, the Aux wasn't too bad, however the actual cam-belt was cracked and starting to split..in his words..''you managed to catch this just before it shredded''.

so just by reading what folk are talking about on here, I've managed to save myself having to have a total engine re-build.

And after driving around for a while and then parking up i'm surprised that the 'normal' engine noises' also included a squeak form the water pump that i thought was just normal..

so today i shall be waxing her with some of the Fuso Soft99 wax that 'Marko' got hold of for his car...

keep up the good work folks, you've saved me a **** load of cash..
    Chris

Better be safe than sorry Chris
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Very good of you that you did change it in time .
      But is the timing belt not needed to be changed at 150.000 km / 93.000 miles.
      Seams to me that the service plan for the timing belt is to long then ?

Comment

I'm now on 194 000 miles ...changed Cambelt and Waterpump..at 109.000 and 187.000...both times where frayed cracked .i suggest at 100.000 at least a and every 60.000 thereafter.

Comment

although my belt was obviously on it's way out,
          the emphasis is more on the water pump bearings which if memory serves seem to break down at pretty infrequent intervals, so i guess i've done more of a 'preventative measure' than a need to change it due to the service schedule advised by Vauxhall.
          Chris

Comment

Working...
          X