Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of moving back to Vauxhall

Hi everyone

I've had various Vauxhalls over many years and never had much trouble with them

Had a spell away and currently have a Subaru Legacy AWD diesel but thinking of moving back.

The BiTurbo 195 4x4 looks quite nice and looks to be in my price range (£7k to £8k) for a 2012 model.

This looks like a friendly forum so thought I would ask how are they for reliability, or should I get the 2 wheel drive version?

Graham

Hi Graham and welcome to the forum. I'd stay clear of the 4x4's as there are known problems with the Haldex system. That is unless you have a good warranty that covered this. If it goes you could be looking at £4k or more to repair!!! Lots on the internet if you want to do your own research. Thorney Motorsport do an upgrade for the Haldex system for the VXR and it may be worth finding out if it's the same system for the 2.0CDTI if you're dead set on getting a 4x4
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

I would steer clear of the 4wd too,,too many horror stories to do with the haldex,, Biturbo is quite good,,good on diesel with a little extra under your right foot when needed
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Welcome to the forum
        LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Hi Graham,
          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
            Hi Graham and welcome to the forum. I'd stay clear of the 4x4's as there are known problems with the Haldex system.
            There are known issues with defective seals in early models (pre-2011?) and buggy software which controls the 4wd but later ones (2012 onward) should be better.

Part of the problem with the 4wd is that unlike other manufacturers, Vauxhall didn't specify a service interval for the 4wd and most people like to run their car on the cheap so won't bother.
            The Haldex oil degrades over time (about 3-4yrs or 20-30k, whichever comes first) and the Haldex oil filter gets clogged which then takes out the Haldex oil pump (or the pump wears out just like a cambelt/water pump) and if the pump goes the rear diff soon follows.
            Also mismatched tyres or significant differences between tread across the four tyres can add extra wear to the 4wd system.

I also think it's very likely that Vauxhall tried to make some cost-savings and carried-over the 4wd which had been designed for older 350Nm engines but then pushed it to the limit in the VXR with torque of 400Nm (435Nm is only achieved briefly in the rpm range). People can't resist remapping their car but on a 4wd Vauxhall I'd leave it on standard map.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Graham, you are very right we are a friendly bunch and do kick out the trouble makers, keyboard warriors and trolls.
              You certainly have done your research about the 4wd system. With them i do believe what 2000rpm is true, you have to service them to keep them well maintained. I do the same with my M32 chocolate gearbox.

Comment

Many thanks for the advice and warm welcome.

I must admit I do enjoy the 4 wheel drive of the Subaru. In wet weather you can put your foot down at a roundabout and just go, doesn't matter whether you want to go straight or turn it just gets on with it with no drama or effort from the driver.

However, the early diesels like mine are prone to crankshaft failure , the later ones are reliable but heavier, slower and lack handling. The petrols have mediocre performance with poor fuel economy, or fast with dreadful fuel economy. Just my opinion.

I have little faith in warranties. From personal experience I've found they are happy to pay a few hundred for something like an alternator but anything that runs into the thousands they find any excuse not to pay.

I'm looking for a family size car that is reliable but fun with good fuel economy, preferably with at least some element of being British. At the moment the 2wd BiTurbo looks like the closest fit.

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by blueleggy View Post
                  Many thanks for the advice and warm welcome.
                  preferably with at least some element of being British.
                  We are built half american and half german. Now adopted by the french. The birth certificate should still say Mixed American/German. So the ancestry of being British is long gone.

Comment

Yes the M32 needs tlc when engine gets a service,the next job I did on mine after cam belt etc was to change the M32's oil.
                    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Working...
                    X