terrible mpg 170 hp diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terrible mpg 170 hp diesels

wondered if anyone elses mpg has plummeted since vx done the emissions update , i was getting around 43 mpg for my daily commute and had to take it in to my dealer for a faulty glow plug where they done the update , now doing the same journeys and keeping tabs over the last 2 months im struggling to get above 36mpg and even on decent motorway journeys im not getting anywhere near 50 or so , tyre pressures are around the 34-38 front rear and to be honest car feels like its lost something since it was in . its going in tomorrow for them to check it but wondered if anyone had found the same

It's winter - and a colder-than-average one at that. Most people see a drop in mpg during the winter.

Engines take longer to warm up, lots of use of lights/heaters/demisters etc, and cold air is denser so air resistance is greater.

Our cars' mpg is well below what they were giving last summer but we expect to see a 10% drop between winter and summer; more if the weather is bad.

Often the composition of fuel is changed with the seasons in order to accommodate weather conditions and that can also affect mpg (when I was a boy I remember my father telling me that in cold winters sometimes the diesel in his lorry would freeze into a jelly-like substance).

Comment

I agree.

Comment

i do 32 miles a day half motorway half urban/ school run after update in summer average 52- 55

the colder weather its about 48

Comment

Is your car equipped with the AdBlue system? Wait till you see how much AdBlue it's using now...

Comment

yes ive put 5 ltrs in when after the adblue update that i had last year
            when the warning first came on and again a couple of weeks ago again when warning first came on and i had covered about 3200 miles

Comment

2500 miles between ad blue op ups that's great nearly negates any mileage savings that derv gives you

Comment

Working...
              X