X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue smoke and dpf full warning

Hi all.
    This is my first post.

I have a 2011 2.0ltr ecoflex 160 estate.
    Had a call from the Mrs Friday afternoon at work. She said the dfp is full keep driving message came on the dash and loads of smoke comes out the back when she accelerates.
    I took the car out today and she was right, as soon as the car is started the message comes on. The smoke is quite bad but does seem to get I little better as you drive a few miles.
    I have the torque app and it seems to be always doing a regeneration as the exhaust temp is up.
    Oh and it's used £30 diesel over about 40 miles.

Sorry to go on but wanted to put as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Have you taken it for a long and fast enough journey to let it complete the regen that it's trying to do?

25 minutes at a steady 70mph in 5th gear should allow the regen to complete.

Fuel consumption will be heavy during regens.

If you're not letting it complete regens you may end up with a variety of problems. Irreparably blocked DPF is the obvious one but also the quality of the engine oil degrades if the car keeps failing to regen properly.
    In a worst case you might even end up with a diesel runaway (please post a video if you do!) and in the best case your oil won't be lubing as well as it should, adding wear to various moving parts of the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
      Have you taken it for a long and fast enough journey to let it complete the regen that it's trying to do?

25 minutes at a steady 70mph in 5th gear should allow the regen to complete.

Fuel consumption will be heavy during regens.

If you're not letting it complete regens you may end up with a variety of problems. Irreparably blocked DPF is the obvious one but also the quality of the engine oil degrades if the car keeps failing to regen properly.
      In a worst case you might even end up with a diesel runaway (please post a video if you do!) and in the best case your oil won't be lubing as well as it should, adding wear to various moving parts of the engine.
      Might need a forced regen at the dealer

Comment

So the car says "keep driving" but you and your wife are ignoring the message? Why not do what it's asking you to do and go for a nice drive?

Comment

I did take it for about a 20 mile drive but because it was still smoking I thought something was wrong.
          Ill take it for longer one tomorrow.
          Will the message go of when it's had long enough?
          Andy.

Comment

When my car does a regular regeneration it takes about 10 minutes at 120 km/h, so that's about 20 km. I can imagine that when it has been interrupted so often out shows the message it takes more distance to clear. It should disappear automatically when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by JVCElite View Post
              Might need a forced regen at the dealer
              If it needs a forced regen I would expect it to say 'Service Vehicle Soon' and be in limp mode (reduced power, limited speed).

Comment

It is normal for smoke and a burning smell during regen keep driving let it get cleared then all will return to normal.

Comment

Hi all. The car is sorted, the Mrs took it for a long drive in the day with her sister.
                  She said after about half hour 5th gear 70mph the message went off and all was normal.
                  Thank you all for your help.
                  Andy.

Comment

Phew! That could have been expensive. Well done to get it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by R2andy View Post
                      Hi all. The car is sorted, the Mrs took it for a long drive in the day with her sister.
                      She said after about half hour 5th gear 70mph the message went off and all was normal.
                      Thank you all for your help.
                      Andy.
                      Check your oil life and see what’s left, if it’s been failing to regenerate it will have put a lot of diesel into the sump, so it will be worth checking your oil level as well

Comment

Working...
                      X