A20dth water pump. Insignia 2.0 sri 2011 auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A20dth water pump. Insignia 2.0 sri 2011 auto

A few weeks ago I got the top up coolant warning. Assumed like many others that it was the egr cooler. Sadly, it is a leaking water pump. The car had new timing belt in aug 16, about 15000 miles ago so the repair will be out of warranty.
    What I'm looking to understand is whether the water pump can be replaced without the full strip of the side of the engine. Looking at the engine, I see a separate black plastic cover which is at the top of the engine where the twin cams and the pump are. Can this alone be taken off and the waterpump be done? I am a competent home mechanic with a good set od tools.
    Cheers
    Jim

Was the water pump not done at the same time as the belt?
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Yep, however out of warranty now. Such is life and GM

Comment

Full strip down as the timing belt runs the pump...best change the belt again incase coolant has got on it...

Comment

Hi, apologies for butting in here, 70k miles on clock and I am twitchy about the timing belt. Does anyone have a belt kit recommendation?

Comment

Originally posted by Ianmac52 View Post
            Hi, apologies for butting in here, 70k miles on clock and I am twitchy about the timing belt. Does anyone have a belt kit recommendation?
            Gates kits seem to get mentioned alot .
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I have just replaced my timing belt with a 'Gates' kit. I bought the full kit including belt, water pump, tensioner, and 2 rollers. The genuine GM water-pump had failed at 125k kms.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                I have just replaced my timing belt with a 'Gates' kit. I bought the full kit including belt, water pump, tensioner, and 2 rollers. The genuine GM water-pump had failed at 125k kms.
                Thanks for the info, where did you get the kit? not seen many Gates kits on line.
                Just a point of curiosity, I appreciate the injection system is a common rail pressurised from the pump driven by the timing belt, but does the pump have to be correctly aligned as the camshaft does, or are the injectors timed from elsewhere.

Comment

Timing belt kit bought online from misterauto, belt, waterpump, tensioner, 2X idler pulleys:
                  https://www.mister-auto.com/
                  The genuine GM timing belt that came off was a Dayco, The genuine GM auxillary belt was a Gates. The fuel pump does not need to be timed, though I did align marks anyway

Comment

eBay link for gates kit: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F201539333966

Comment

Originally posted by welshhuw View Post
                      Many thanks for the link, ordered one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ianmac52 View Post
                        Many thanks for the link, ordered one up.
                        All done with the gates kit referenced. No problems, very pleased, only thing I couldn't resolve was sealant or no sealant on the water pump. Didn't appear to be any on the fitted unit so opted against it. Done a few hundred miles since fitting it, mostly motorway speeds and no temperature problems or water loss.
                        On my 4th aux belt order. Had to order to nearest length, 6PK1855, fitted with 6PK1852, unable to source one. Supposed to be 2 types for this engine but none anywhere near.

Comment

Working...
                        X