Ticking noise on cold start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking noise on cold start up

Hi everyone, my first post. 2014 2 ltr cdti Sri 160 with 50,000 miles, FSH.
    On cold start up I can hear a ticking noise that goes away once the engine reaches operating temperature. It sounds like the noise a loose tappet on an older style engine would make and it is every half a second on tickover, becoming faster as the engine is revved. I assume this engine is hydraulic tappets so I should dismiss this cause, but having worked on older style engines in the distant past, the noise instantly reminded me of the tappet sound. It seems to come from the drivers side of the engine. There are no warning messages and the car drives fine. Just a bit concerned it may be something that could develop into something if I don't deal with it now. The car itself is about 4 weeks out of its 3 year manufacturer's warranty. Any suggestions gratefully considered. Thanks.

Hi
    I have 2014 2.0 ecoflex same noise under rocker cover but when cold fine when worm metalic noise.
    I ready change hydraulic lifters and still same...next job rocker arm.

My black Insignia

Comment

Originally posted by szymek View Post
      Hi
      I have 2014 2.0 ecoflex same noise under rocker cover but when cold fine when worm metalic noise.
      I ready change hydraulic lifters and still same...next job rocker arm.
      I'm thinking it may be an injector noise but it's strange how it doesn't affect the running of the engine. Let me know if you have any luck with checking the rocker arms. Thanks.

Comment

I ready swap injectors nothing different I check for any faults using OP-COM nothing's....i will let you know if i find something...

My black Insignia

Comment

Hydraulic tappets can go bad too. Try an oil flush/cleaner at your next oil change which may cure it or you can get specific products to quieten the noise from worn hydraulic tappets

Comment

First check oil pressure...

My black Insignia

Comment

Got this sorted by main dealer under warranty. Turns out it was the timing belt idler that was worn. The tapping noise sounded like two metallic surfaces knocking together so I'm still a bit confused about it being an idler bearing. Timing belt kit fitted at £ 0 cost to me. Happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire pud View Post
                Got this sorted by main dealer under warranty. Turns out it was the timing belt idler that was worn. The tapping noise sounded like two metallic surfaces knocking together so I'm still a bit confused about it being an idler bearing. Timing belt kit fitted at £ 0 cost to me. Happy days.
                Happy days. Glad its sorted.

Comment

Ticking can also be exhaust manifold gasket, just in case anyone else is troubleshooting.

Comment

Working...
                  X