1.8 Exclusive MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8 Exclusive MPG

Hi All, just bought a 1.8 VVT Exclusive. I seem to be getting about 420 miles on a full tank (60L) is this normal? Tyres are 245/45/18. I think that works out about 31mpg.

Welcome to the forum.
    It really depends on the types of journeys you do and also how heavy you are on the gas pedal. Also with it being winter as well this affects the economy.
    Generally speaking that sounds about right.

Comment

Hi

It depends on your usage. When I had my 1.8 my average was 23mpg but that was made up of all short trips.
      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Many thanks for the speedy replies, sounds like mine is about average. Just changed from a Golf 1.9 Gt TDI which got more than double that so was a little shocked at first, pesky diesel black carbon particles!

Comment

Originally posted by lambrettabad View Post
          Many thanks for the speedy replies, sounds like mine is about average. Just changed from a Golf 1.9 Gt TDI which got more than double that so was a little shocked at first, pesky diesel black carbon particles!
          Firstly, petrol only achieves three-quarters the mpg of diesel.
          Secondly, Insignias are big and heavy compared to Golfs and that extra weight needs the engine to burn more fuel to move it.
          Thirdly, this winter has been especially bad for mpg of many people due to the endless weeks of cold weather which affect mpg.

So lose 25% mpg from the diesel-petrol switch, lose 25% mpg from the Insignia needing more energy to move it, and lose 20% mpg compared to summer due to the recent cold weather.

However, a 1.8 petrol Insignia doesn't have anywhere near the complexity of a diesel engine so it is much less likely to hit you with big bills.

Comment

Hi All, just bought a 1.8 VVT Exclusive. I seem to be getting about 420 miles on a full tank (60L) is this normal? Tyres are 245/45/18. I think that works out about 31mpg.
            how are you finding it a few months on?

Comment

It's great on a long motorway journey, we actually converted it to LPG as well and in the summer did a large euro trip, 4000 miles and it cost me about £170 total on LPg. Score! Town driving kills the mpg tho but still a lovely big comfy car for long journeys.

Comment

It's great on a long motorway journey, we actually converted it to LPG as well and in the summer did a large euro trip, 4000 miles and it cost me about £170 total on LPg. Score! Town driving kills the mpg tho but still a lovely big comfy car for long journeys.
                Wow that is good! What did it cost to convert to LPG? I took my 1.8 to the French Alps near (Chamonix) and found it struggled on the mountain roads and got about 30mpg all over with 23mpg up and down the hills 🙄

Comment

Yeah I got about the same, was going up and down the gears all the time! The conversion was quite pricey and I would not recommend unless you, a/ drive up and down motorways all day, b/ are planning on keeping the car until doomsday! It cost us £1400 to convert which will take a while to recoup on gas savings but at 50p a litre it could be worth it ( so even if you get 23mpg it's less than half price so that in theory it doubles to 46 in monetary terms) . You lose some boot space if you keep your spare wheel as the gas tank goes where it was but new cars come with a bottle of gunge and a compressor nowadays so no biggie if you ditch the spare wheel.
                  I don't see any drop in performance at all except it runs cleaner emissions now!

Comment

Working...
                  X