Being Mutt & Jeff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Mutt & Jeff

Had my motor 5 months now and I've had some of the family tell be that there was a lot of tyre noise, that at first I could not pick up being a little hard of hearing.
    I eventually began to pick it up. Noisy at 20 mph but seemed to vanish above 30 mph. which is not a wheel bearing as they get louder as speed increases.
    I've never heard of this before but it was the near side rear tyre. It was one of the originals on the motor and was basically knackered, although it still had plenty of tread, it was run on the back all it's life. Two new tyres and it seems as quite as a RR., being Mutt & Jeff has its advantages.
    So be careful and not always blame the wheel bearings.
    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Rear inner edges of tyres worn ?
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
      Rear inner edges of tyres worn ?
      Yes, but did not seem excessive.
      Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

May want 4 way alignment,,ie on a Hunter laser machine
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Had this on mine. Had the 4=wheel allignment check done and all within tollerance. 2 different dealers have said its a characteristic of the setup of the car
          Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
            Had this on mine. Had the 4=wheel allignment check done and all within tollerance. 2 different dealers have said its a characteristic of the setup of the car
            And the problem is worse with 20inch rims apparently

Comment

My Insignia used to be loud with 19s.

Believe it or not but my van which I have now is actually quieter in the cabin. Think its helped by the bulkhead though

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                And the problem is worse with 20inch rims apparently
                Which is exactly what I have Dave. Anyway, changed tyres and rumbling noise all gone
                Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                  Which is exactly what I have Dave. Anyway, changed tyres and rumbling noise all gone
                  I'm same,,hunter alignment cured it

Comment

I have 18" wheels. Motor is MY13 the tyre making the noise was one of the originals, run on the rear axle all its life.
                    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Tyre road noise usually gets louder when the tread wears down too.
                      sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Multi link rear suspension on Insignia tends to let camber to be excessive over time. Unless you get camber specifically checked and not just toe then inside of tyres will wear despite correct toe setting. Camber is adjustable on the rear axle. I had the same problem and correct camber sorted it.

Comment

Working...
                        X