Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlighten me on aftermarket dash screens people :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlighten me on aftermarket dash screens people :)

I've just been mulling one over recently...mainly due to my OE display being slightly redundant since fitting an aftermarket head unit, it just shows the date time and temperature.....also the small cubby underneath used to fit my phone perfectly, since I bought a new phone it no loner fits, and hence that cubby is never used....also it would be another addition to the spec etc.

So, these screens....I understand they have various functions such as satnav, dab, cameras etc....but they all seem to connect to OE head units, would they not be any use with an aftermarket head unit?

Also, I'm not bothered about the DAB as my head unit has that, reverse camera I can live without, I have a very good up to date TomTom satnav so I'm not over bothered about that....what else do they do?

Ta

I had a sino unit fitted in the grey sig,,one of the best mods I did,,easy connected in my case,don't know about the aftermarket head unit though
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

All the ones I've looked at fit with the standard head unit.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
        I had a sino unit fitted in the grey sig,,one of the best mods I did,,easy connected in my case,don't know about the aftermarket head unit though
        Would fitting one of those work with cars that have factory navigation? I have CD500.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcbane14 View Post
          Would fitting one of those work with cars that have factory navigation? I have CD500.

Thanks.
          I'm going back about 3 yrs when I did this,at the time they were only compatible with non factory nav cars,ie,cd300 and cd400
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcbane14 View Post

Thanks.
            Android aftermarkets have google maps as standard or you can download third party navigation software.

Comment

I got one delivered today

Comment

The first thing to realise is that as a rule of thumb aftermarket units, in the early days could only replace the CD400/CD300 units already fitted. If you want to replace any other OE unit you should first talk to the supplier to see if they sell a compatible device.

Now, there are WinCE based replacements and Android based replacements.

Up to about two years ago the popular unit was the SinoSmart device which was WinCE based. Then came along Android units supplied by lots of different suppliers.

None of the units are straightforward replacements, mainly because of the number of cables involved and the space to fit them in. The WinCE units are particularly difficult because they retain the original radio/CD player and the interface involves a very large 48 pin connector, which proves cumbersome to fit and needs careful planning.

The Android units are easier because most[possibly all] have replacement radio/CDplayers with different wiring looms.

The Android units are faster, have more memory and include WI-FI.

All devices have GPS and are able to execute SatNav programmes.

WinCE units are now relatively cheap compared to Android units but are not as versatile.

All of these units are made in China by very few manufacturers, but have many distributors under different names.

Delivery from China is cheap and very quick with good customer service. There are UK and European distributors, but they are much more expensive for the same units with usually much poorer customer service.

Lastly, there are many people, on most car forums, who have lots of knowledge of GPS car systems who are usually very willing to help.

Comment

Finally one that can be fitted to the factory navigation system. After 4 years waiting one that works. Not sure what's different they changed that it works now.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                    Finally one that can be fitted to the factory navigation system. After 4 years waiting one that works. Not sure what's different they changed that it works now.
                    Is this for the r700 intellilink 900 without projection on?

Comment

I have an iPhone so wonder how well it would work with the android head unit. Androids are a lot more accepting of iPhones than Apple are of androids so I wouldn’t have thought it’d be a big issue.

My main gripe is lack of Bluetooth calling and DAB. iPhone works well with usb and I can change tracks via steering wheel although I would love more Spotify interaction.

I’m still not sure if I should get DAB and Bluetooth retro fitted while updating the maps or go aftermarket [emoji848]

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmyp1970 View Post
                        Is this for the r700 intellilink 900 without projection on?
                        One is available best to contact them to confirm.
                        Look on aliexpress and search for Buick regal vertical or insignia vertical.

Comment

Originally posted by franka View Post
                          The first thing to realise is that as a rule of thumb aftermarket units, in the early days could only replace the CD400/CD300 units already fitted. If you want to replace any other OE unit you should first talk to the supplier to see if they sell a compatible device.

Now, there are WinCE based replacements and Android based replacements.

Up to about two years ago the popular unit was the SinoSmart device which was WinCE based. Then came along Android units supplied by lots of different suppliers.

None of the units are straightforward replacements, mainly because of the number of cables involved and the space to fit them in. The WinCE units are particularly difficult because they retain the original radio/CD player and the interface involves a very large 48 pin connector, which proves cumbersome to fit and needs careful planning.

The Android units are easier because most[possibly all] have replacement radio/CDplayers with different wiring looms.

The Android units are faster, have more memory and include WI-FI.

All devices have GPS and are able to execute SatNav programmes.

WinCE units are now relatively cheap compared to Android units but are not as versatile.

All of these units are made in China by very few manufacturers, but have many distributors under different names.

Delivery from China is cheap and very quick with good customer service. There are UK and European distributors, but they are much more expensive for the same units with usually much poorer customer service.

Lastly, there are many people, on most car forums, who have lots of knowledge of GPS car systems who are usually very willing to help.
                          Hi,

Forgive my ignorance. I have read the forum posts and some links to aliexpress are no longer relevant. I’m much the same as the original poster. I have a 2013 insignia with CD400. I am a complete noob with car electrics and am like a child who needs his hand held when it comes to this. I’m looking to upgrade the radio unit to have a nav Bluetooth and a dab radio. I’m not that bothered about screen size nor versatility. I’d like something reliable and with as little cost as possible.

If anyone could point me in a direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Anyone had a look in at these?

Shop hundreds of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto radios, Android OS radios and Tesla Style aftermarket systems here!

Look quite tidy and the demonstrations look like they work nice too. Nice to deal with a UK team potentially as well for

Comment

Working...
                            X