Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking like a sieve - found 2 but the 3rd im not so sure

Hi all

Short version ! Bought the Insignia in November - in December noticed moisture in the spare well. Windows misting etc etc- so, finally explored and found there's been water leaking in at the left side off the boot - probably for a while. So, got the kettle out and poured water of the rear left quarter:

1. Very small amount getting in at the rear light cluster grommets on top - took light of and they are perished
    2. Biggest surprise tho was the amount getting in when pouring water over the seam between the rear quarter panel and the bumper theres a slight gap in the fit but water was pouring in the inside down the hidden channel near the fuses - my extractor flaps were fine
    3. Looks like im gonna have to get the bumper off and have a look- may be a split seam - meantime, theres a sheet to soak up moisture and I park the car with the nose angling up.

This week tho - when im ready to get the bumper off..........the rear passenger footwell is soaking wet !! So Ive deduced it cant be from the location above as its all dry in there with my sheet.
    Damp under left side of rear passenger seat as well - sound proofing at rear of boot is dry
    Side of seat is wet as well
    Ive used my rear wash wipe with the wifes smelly window wash stuff and cant see or smell any leaks
    Im guessing the water is coming in via the C Pillar
    Is it easy to look under the headlining?

Rooflining isn't damp so was ready to rule out the aerial but best check. My parcel shelf isn't wet either
    I did notice that when I open the tailgate, the actual surround on the car (not the tailgate) has various plastic plugs -could these be leaking? Theres also 3 holes at the top of the roof which have tape over them - im guessing there was a plastic surround around there?

I have tendency to break things so any help will be useful - failing which ill buy a goldfish for the footwell

Have you checked the bottom of the rear door where the wet foot well is. If it has rubber grommets, they tend to get blocked with crap and the door fills with water and seeps out into the car. If it does have, just remove them. They stopped putting them in later models and just left the holes.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Hi mate

Checked both doors and no grommets ☹️

Comment

Hmm that rules those out then. Not a clue then, sorry.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

No probs

Also pulled the roof lining down today and looked for any signs of water leakage from the aerial - none so that's another one off the list!

Bumper coming off tomorrow to see if seam split

Also, noticed on the body where the tailgate sits just under the roof, lots of little plug holes that have been taped over so sealing them up next!

Comment

Hi mate any luck with this. Haven’t taken off the rear bumper yet but had the spray gun on over the boot, rear lights under the wheel arch and car was dry after. So parked the car on a hill to see if the water was lying somewhere, boot still dry. So boot was still dry after a full day of heavy rain. Then drove the car to work and check the exact same place as you.. Guess what it’s wet. Does the water only come in on yours when driving?

Comment

Thanks mate

Thanks for this mate- that plastic liner is missing from my boot so those rectangular capos are exposed -pulled one off the other stay and its like a sticky pad underneath! going to seal both of them up when the weather is better and get some silicone and put trim plugs into all the exposed clip holes as some of them are covered up with gaffer tape!!

Comment

Hi mate

Not taken it off yet as weather been naff but mine comes in even when parked. Theres another thread on the forum which shows that theres a hole under the bumper clip that has tape over it but this tape wears away so this is where mine is coming in as it pours in when I pour water over the quarter panel and bumper! Going to seal up any exposed clip holes surrounding the boot as well.

Ive seen somewhere that the extractor flaps can fail and this is why you get water coming in when you are driving - youll see the flaps in one of my pictures - ive checked mine and they look ok but going to silicone round them as well!!

Comment

Right, after getting some advice from MOV, it appears there is a big hole underneath the bumper bracket on the quarter panel - luckily, I can see mine from the inside as its the nearside rear that's leaking

Apparently Vauxhall only cover it with tape which disintegrates over time- I shone a torch in and theres no tape. Poured water over the rear bumper at the clips and it started leaking....before I discovered all this I had my roof lining down - all dry, no leaks from the aerial, no sign of water from the gutter panel clip holes (they are taped over), no leaks from rear window or door and no leaks from the washer.

So - using Sikaflex I have filled the offending hole from the inside after unscrewing the rear fuse box. I was going to take the bumper off but the screws in the wheel arch were rusted and I couldn't get them off and Vauxhall have to order them - pic below:

I have also put a small bead of Sikaflex around the rear ns light grommets as water was getting in there too - have 2 new ones on order so Ill see how it goes.

My rear footwell is still damp unfortunately but should dry over time. All I need to do now is wait for the Sikaflex to cure and give it a good hose down and check the boot. I also park with the bonnet inclining up my drive so any water runs to the back and gets scooped by the old rags in there !!

Watch this space

Comment

Nice one mate.
                      it pays to investigate things like this.

I'm exactly the same, once I get my teeth into something, I don't stop til its done.

Comment

I'm glad you got this sorted.

The rear light mounting grommets were leaking on mine too but I realise you have to make sure the mountings are properly pushed home into them when re-fitting the light and they do sit in right....mine weren't!

Sadly it'll take ages for your foot well to dry out as I had my rear seat base out and the felt was swimming under there and it had even soaked into the rear seat base foam!

You may be better taking it all out if you're feeling adventurous....it's quite an involved job though.

Comment

9 months later- still dry!

Originally posted by SOPRANO69 View Post
                          Right, after getting some advice from MOV, it appears there is a big hole underneath the bumper bracket on the quarter panel - luckily, I can see mine from the inside as its the nearside rear that's leaking

Apparently Vauxhall only cover it with tape which disintegrates over time- I shone a torch in and theres no tape. Poured water over the rear bumper at the clips and it started leaking....before I discovered all this I had my roof lining down - all dry, no leaks from the aerial, no sign of water from the gutter panel clip holes (they are taped over), no leaks from rear window or door and no leaks from the washer.

So - using Sikaflex I have filled the offending hole from the inside after unscrewing the rear fuse box. I was going to take the bumper off but the screws in the wheel arch were rusted and I couldn't get them off and Vauxhall have to order them - pic below:

I have also put a small bead of Sikaflex around the rear ns light grommets as water was getting in there too - have 2 new ones on order so Ill see how it goes.

My rear footwell is still damp unfortunately but should dry over time. All I need to do now is wait for the Sikaflex to cure and give it a good hose down and check the boot. I also park with the bonnet inclining up my drive so any water runs to the back and gets scooped by the old rags in there !!

Watch this space
                          Hi all

9 months later - still dry thankfully !!! hopefully the drivers side doesn't suffer the same issue or its bumper off time!!

Comment

Sorry for resurrecting an old post but to add, there is another potential source of leaks from the rear trim on the hatchback. See video. Hope it helps others

Apologies for the poor camera I used, but I just had to get it out there and pay it forward.The plastic grommets that will probably break are part number OEM...
                            Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Working...
                            X