Front Passenger Seat Removal - Easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Passenger Seat Removal - Easy?

I'm still getting an outrageous amount of water accumulating under the front passenger seat where the rear passenger footwell is, so it looks like a seat out job to see "wtf" is going on.

Is is a relatively simple job - any do's and don'ts greatly appreciated.

I can't see how the wiring harness plug thing detaches for starters!

Thanks folks.

RBH has changed the seats in his car, perhaps he could offer some advice?

Comment

Might be worth checking for leaks higher up & further back, if others problems are anything to go by. I've not read anyone removing a front seat to sort a leak into the rear footwell, they usually come from a roof bung or from the boot area or from the back doors if they've got a bung in the bottom drain holes. Try looking in the easy places 1st, you probably won't need to take the seat out, saving you some work.

Comment

Seat removal is easy, but as said, try other places first. If you do take the seat out, be very careful when lifting it out of the car, either taking it out of the front door, or going out backwards through the tailgate. There are so many pieces of metal sticking out, it is so easy to snag something, so I recommend using padding like rugs or similar. The electrical connector is easy, it is obvious how to disconnect when you tip the seat back and you can see it.

Comment

Pull the seat forward as far as it goes.
          Remove the 2 T40 torx bolts.
          Bring the seat back to normal position.
          The front is runners are in the body with hooks.
          Tip the seat forward a little and with one hand under the front and other at the rear....tip seat forward while at the same time pulling the full seat back and up.

This will give you access to the multiplug.

The plug is locked in place using a slider mechanism.
          The lock pulled over towards the door of the car.

Using a flat blade screwdriver, push it into the edge/end if the slider lock and gently ease it out.
          Then...just using your hand/fingers pull the lock out until you can't go anymore.
          Then pull the multiplug back towards the rear of the car.

As said before.... extreme caution when taking the seat out the car.....lots of nice metal ends that will damage plastic trim, paintwork etc.

Comment

Have you removed the rubber grommets from the drain holes in the bottom of all four doors
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
              Have you removed the rubber grommets from the drain holes in the bottom of all four doors
              Yeah - they were all removed quite a few months back when I first noticed the water under the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
                Might be worth checking for leaks higher up & further back, if others problems are anything to go by. I've not read anyone removing a front seat to sort a leak into the rear footwell, they usually come from a roof bung or from the boot area or from the back doors if they've got a bung in the bottom drain holes. Try looking in the easy places 1st, you probably won't need to take the seat out, saving you some work.
                Well this is the problem. I thought (logically) that the water has got to be getting in from somewhere else so I put down a load of kitchen roll (with the idea that that would soak up and show even the slightest amount of dampness) around the area and weighted the roll down with small bags of kiln-dried sand.

Result - NOTHING! All of the kitchen roll stayed bone dry yet the underseat area remained soaking wet.

Grrrrr!

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                  Pull the seat forward as far as it goes.
                  Remove the 2 T40 torx bolts.
                  Bring the seat back to normal position.
                  The front is runners are in the body with hooks.
                  Tip the seat forward a little and with one hand under the front and other at the rear....tip seat forward while at the same time pulling the full seat back and up.

This will give you access to the multiplug.

The plug is locked in place using a slider mechanism.
                  The lock pulled over towards the door of the car.

Using a flat blade screwdriver, push it into the edge/end if the slider lock and gently ease it out.
                  Then...just using your hand/fingers pull the lock out until you can't go anymore.
                  Then pull the multiplug back towards the rear of the car.

As said before.... extreme caution when taking the seat out the car.....lots of nice metal ends that will damage plastic trim, paintwork etc.
                  Cheers pal, thanks for that - much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Stoat View Post
                    Seat removal is easy, but as said, try other places first. If you do take the seat out, be very careful when lifting it out of the car, either taking it out of the front door, or going out backwards through the tailgate. There are so many pieces of metal sticking out, it is so easy to snag something, so I recommend using padding like rugs or similar. The electrical connector is easy, it is obvious how to disconnect when you tip the seat back and you can see it.
                    Good tip - thanks. Looks like all my old duvet covers and bits of carpet will come in handy after all!

Comment

Working...
                    X