Flexride Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexride Shocks

Nearside rear shock is leaking and needs replacement, offside which I was concerned about a few months ago is not far behind. I was aware the price was going to be steep unless I went with a 'normal' shock but its the difference between front and rear prices which makes no sense. Rear, which is a shock only, i.e. as part of multi-link suspension and serves no other purpose other than 'shock absorb' €450. The front, as part of strut which carries spring etc and a lot heftier €400. That makes no logical sense to me. No choice but to replace with GM as no other part available, I cant find one anywhere. Anyway anyone with a link to an option? Other than non Flexride compatible?

They are very expensive. Both front and rear shock are similar price. I too have done research on this. There is no aftermarket option for this and the only way you can do it cheaper is get a used one from breakers. But I'm not sure if it requires programming to car.

Comment

And they say always replace in pairs, i agree on this, as one side will be stronger other, so replace in pairs cant go wrong. But the price £700

Comment

First post. Just found this forum.

I have seen "dummies" for other car brands that are plugged in and keep the diagnosis happy if you change to aftermarket shocks without flexride. Anyone seen that for Insignia?
        I have a set of 250000km flexride shockers that need replacement and I would like to go for cheaper aftermarket but I don't want any warning lights on the panel. Never used flexride really. Just tried it a couple of times. Should have ordered without and saved the money.
        Car is a 2009 Insignia hatchback CTDI 130hp.

Regards,

Fredrik

Comment

To be honest, I think the FlexRide option is one of the best to have on an Insignia. Even when you never press any of the buttons, it's still do a lot of thinks. It still dynamically changes hardness of the shocks when needed, for example doing a evasive action on the highway. Done that once, was amazed how well the car handled. When driving on rough road, it softens the shocks to give more comfort. Really like the ride with FlexRide. I have also driven a Insignia with normal shock, that that felt a lot heavier that a similar one with FlexRide.

Comment

My experience is that aftermarket shocks from for example KW or Koni are miles better then any OEM part.
            I have never been that impressed by the flexride. If I press sport I just think the ride I rough not sporty.
            However, after 240000km I think the shockers are done and need replacement. New flexride are roughly same price as finest aftermarket coilovers. I was planning to lower the car some at the same time.

Comment

After looking here, there, and everywhere, including at ZF Sachs who made the original part, they cannot be got new other than from Opel/Vauxhall. I'm not going to ditch the Flexride as driving an Insignia without it feels like the suspension is broken, my wife has a '14 Insignia elite without it and its cat to drive compared to mine.

Comment

I agree the flexride system is a good system to have. Most new cars have it as an optional extra now/ or standard on some, and i'm sure their replacement part cost is on par with ours.

Comment

Its the new age we live in now, parts are expensive which will require programming on some. Nothing is cheap to replace anymore, and you can't go to your local scrappy to buy a single part, lets say a door pin you have to buy the actual doorcard with it

Comment

I don't know if I am that impressed with the flexride suspension of the Insignia. I came from a Saab 9-5 that I rated better. I did 250000km with the Saab until I felt that the performance was clearly down. I replaced it with a set of Koni sport shockers and the difference was huge. It got better then new.
                    Now I feel the same with the Insignia. The suspension has problems to control the wheels from wobbling. I has to be replaced at 240000km.

The stock replacements are ridiculously expensive. I have been quoted 1900 euros by the Opel dealer for the parts only. A set of KW coilover is 1300 euros and I think Koni R&T is about the same.
                    Is the KW gadget the only way to have aftermarket shockers without warninglights? Can the system be deactivated somehow? I could even consider to get rid of the buttons on the dash and buy some for non-flexride from the scrapyard.
                    Used dampers are not an option as I see it.

Comment

ZF Sachs dont manufacture the part anymore. Ah well. Goodbye €900. Interesting to see who does when they arrive. Special order from Germany apparently.

Comment

After another week of searching and a few promising leads turned out to be dead ends. No choice. Have to get the upper mounts and the bump stops too. No point in doing it in half measures. The inner CV joint will have to wait. Special order from Germany. 4 working days delivery. Even our Russian friends cant source a pair.

Comment

When the car value is less than the part itself that is time to upgrade the car.

Comment

Shame really, the car can keep going but replacement parts are extortionate price

Comment

Have to keep her right. Should be here Friday. At least the job of replacing will be easy. Dohh, just jinxed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X