Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K & N air filter or standard?

Hi,
    looking at giving my 61 plate 2.8t estate a bit of a freshen up before MOT mid March....a few questions if I may
    1. thinking of upgrading standard air filter to K & n, has anyone done this? any improvement in performance and/or economy/ general running?

2. thinking if changing oil with this Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG Engine Oil - 5W-30 as seems good price and dextros 2 compatible. anyone any experience or other recommendations for oil?

3. I always run on Shell Ultimate, (don't do too much short journeys so tend to get 32ish mpg) but was thinking of running some Redex advanced treatment through, is it worth it or will Ultimate additives be doing same job already?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nick

If your passed your warrantee I’d consider a k&n I’ve had one before, not really sure how much extra power you get but it sounds better, as for engine cleaners and decent oil why not [emoji846] give the old girl a treat!

Comment

Binned my std air filter mainly because the performance panel filters can be cleaned and re-fitted.Running mine on Fuchs oil Dexos 2 spec,changed last w/end.Also have Fuchs oil in the 'famous' M32 box.
      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Personally I'd stick to standard filters, they're cheap, easy to change and paper filters filter better than most aftermarket alternative materials i.e foam etc... I know K&N are oiled cotton and are probably fine and it's each to their own, but, filtration is extremely important on turbo equipped cars as any particles that make it through the filter can damage the turbo blades, even the smallest of particles can erode the blades. To be honest I doubt you would notice any power increase from a change of filter medium unless the standard one is seriously blocked. I'd stick to standard and change regularly, at the recommended service intervals as a minimum.

Comment

I've been running a pipercross panel filter on my cdti, seems to be OK and not had any issues. Cleaning the filter is a bit of a ball ache, but not impossible. Power wise not sure either. My bum dyno isn't to accurate....

Comment

Unless you are getting a cone filter then i wouldn't bother upgrading the panel filter to a so called 'panel performance one'

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys, I think I will err on the side of caution and stick to the standard filter..... not wanting to tempt fate and all that..... especially as I drive around with the Haldex time bomb 😂

Comment

To my mind 'performance ' filters are 30 years obsolete. The air filter has gone from the most restrictive, to probably the least restrictive component on a modern engine. Diesel or petrol. If it has a turbo then its nonsense, even no filter will not result in any performance gains. They are cheap and easy to replace every 10k. I would stick with the OE part.

Comment

Working...
                X