2014 Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 diesel cold start noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 diesel cold start noise

Hi everyone, I'm in the states with a 2014 diesel Cruze with the 2.0. It's been making some awful noises during cold starts and seems to be getting worse. Also seems to be coming from the right side of the car. Is this an oil pick up seal failure?

Please see the video here: https://youtu.be/Zev01R3srl4

I saw some other threads with similar noises but wanted to start one for the Cruze so I can refer other US owners to the site.

If you're not getting the low engine oil warning then probably not. Probably just frozen water molecules affecting the injectors
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Does it go off when warmed up ?
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

It goes away about 10-40 seconds after the first cold start. Never used to do it and it seems to go away for a while after an oil change. Only does it after sitting for 8 hours or so and will do it even when it's above 0 deg C.

No messages on the dash. Has about 108,000km (67k miles).

I'll probably send an oil sample for analysis at the next change.

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
        Does it go off when warmed up ?

Comment

Forgot to mention, we had it at the dealer here for a week. They heard the noise but couldn't figure it out. Their response was "that's a strange noise but we couldn't find anything wrong."

I think GM only sold ~12,000 of these with the diesel over here, so when you have a problem it's tough to get it figured out.

Comment

If it's the same engine as ours,I know the noise has been blamed on the belts and tensioners,in some cases the water pump. It's same story here,only happens in cold weather,then noise dissapears after a few short minutes

Must be in a very small minority of diesel cars on your side of the pond,, I know the last time I was in the states,hearing a diesel engine in a car was a very rare occurrence
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Waterpump is what I'm hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                Waterpump is what I'm hearing.
                Does the oil pick up tube seal cause any noise in the beginning of its failure or do you just end up with the low oil pressure light?

Comment

Originally posted by 14diesel View Post
                  Does the oil pick up tube seal cause any noise in the beginning of its failure or do you just end up with the low oil pressure light?
                  I had rattling and knocking for a few seconds on startup which i guess was the bearings suffering, no oil pressure warning light for me though.

Comment

Working...
                  X