Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The correct way to drive?

Hi all.

I drove a vw Passat b6 with a diesel pd engine. There was a massive discussion over to how to drive these cars.

The general consensus was to drive up to 2.5k when cold then change and when warm change at 3k. There was no shift light either. They says this was to keep the turbo veins and injectors clear. Over my 40k driving I never had a engine issue (just the rest of the car that was the issue...)

Now my insignia 2014 2.0cdti ecoflex has a shift light just like my other halfs corsa. Of the top of my head it goes something like this

1st - close to 3k
    2nd 2.5k
    3rd 2k
    4th 2k
    5 - 1.8k
    6 - final gear.

Is it best to follow the above or to ignore and go upto 2.5k on cold and 3k for hot?

Thanks for your guidance.

The change indicator comes on long before 2.5k revs on mine,,approx 2.0k revs,which I normally change up anyway
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Before the engine is properly warmed up, try not to rev too high but also try not to labour the engine at low revs.
      If you want some numbers, I'd say try to keep cold-engine rpms between 1750-2500 as much as possible although in 1st/2nd gear the car would probably be best at 1400-1800rpm.

Once warmed up (which tends to be a few minutes after the temp gauge is at normal temp) for best mpg keep engine revs as low as the car will tolerate without labouring, and stay off-boost.
      Some numbers would be 1400-1700rpm.

From time to time, once fully warmed up, give it a good old Italian tune-up (floor it in 3rd down a motorway slip road and rev to 4000rpm).

When cruising along motorways or dual carriageways at 70mph the engine should be working hard enough and running hot enough to keep itself in good order. However, in my experience and from what I can gather, most DPFs nowadays cannot regenerate from exhaust-gas heat alone, so the DPF will still gradually fill with soot even on motorway journeys and will need to occasionally run its regeneration cycle.

Comment

I've noticed my car was taking a good 10 minutes of motorway driving to reach its operating temperature. Though this was over the past two days where it was minus 2..

I've noticed my car doing regens. This is driving 400 miles a week at motorway speed. Does this seem right? My first car with a dpf.

Comment

Working...
        X