Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane Departure warning / Collision warning / Blind Spot Warning

Hi Peeps,

I notice this is a new safety feature on cars these days and is a must have for some owners as they would choose this as a optional extra.
    The early ones are just visual and audio warning. Later ones take control of your car (steering wheel) like the Mondeo, pulls you back into lane if you don't use your indicators

If you have this on your car currently, or in previous cars. Do you find these feature useful or annoyance? And can it be customised to when you want it to react lets say at above set speed, instead of turning off completely.

Thanks
    Last edited by sriray; 08-03-2018, 11:31 AM.

It's a bit scary first time it kicks in but you get used to it. Teaches you to remember to indicate before changing lanes.
    The collision alert can be a bit sensitive it picks up pedestrians walking on pavement sometimes and flashes up on screen. Don't think you can adjust but think it adjusts itself according to your speed. Don't really need it but as it's fitted to Grand Sport might as well use it
    sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

You can choose just to have just warning light or warning light and brake.
      sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

The lane departure steers the car back into lane but it's a gentle nudge. if you want to override it you just keep steering the way you want to go and it gives up. It's there to help you if you're concentration lapses or worst case you nod off. Which brings us to collision alert/braking and pedestrian alert/braking. Both can be turned off independently or you can just have alert without the braking. The collision alert has 3 distance settings but pedestrian collision only has 1.

I often have the collision alert flash up (sometimes a couple of times in a week) usually when in tight spots where cars aim at you as they drive around parked cars or a car brakes suddenly in front of you. The car has braked itself only twice in the 7 months I've owned it....Once was pedestrian alert when a girl rode her bike toward me down a one way street (it sees cyclists at pedestrians) and once when someone in front of me jammed on for the lights as they turned amber when I thought she was going through. I went for the brake but the car beat me to it literally by a millisecond.

Personally I love all of it. I think all new cars should have this tech by law as standard.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Had a Nissan Quashquai as a hire car recently and that had all these gizmos. I found the blind-spot warning to be a) useful and b) crap in daylight; out of the three tools I think it's the most beneficial. The lane-departure warning was just irritating and I don't remember the front warning/braking thing to have been activated in the week I had it.

Comment

I agree with both Minuteman & Marko the system can be a little over sensitive at times but better over than under! Ultimately i think the systems are great, emergency braking kicked in once like Marko the car in front went through lights and just stopped and the car beat me to the break. Lane assist i really useful if you’re not paying attention and blind spot assist is well worth having as well. Like the guys above said you get used to it quickly and think all cars should have the features its nice to know the car is always looking out for you and pedestrians so any lapse in concentration doesn’t go badly wrong

Comment

Sounds like a good feature to have.
              I have this DVR with the lane and collision warning. You can change the distance when it is active but the sound is quite irritating, so just looking to change the sound file

Comment

I don't have any audio for lane departure. It's a green icon when all is well and it turns amber when I'm getting closer and then the car steers back to the middle if you get to close.
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I have the collision system set to warning and auto-braking (2015 Holden Insignia VXR). When you're on a motorway in the fast lane and there's a large slow-moving truck ahead in the slow lane and the road is curving to the right, the radar sometimes detects the truck as a problem (because it sees it as straight ahead, even though I'm in the other lane) and throws on the brakes. This is not much fun, particularly if there are cars following you.

Comment

Like the adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning should be linked to some sort of police national computer and automatically issue penalty points when it is activated. Both mean the driver is not paying attention. Think of the chaos if all cars had both active on a busy motorway.

Comment

I’ve not really had that problem although the active systems are a bit over sensitive

Comment

Only just got our new Insignia which has the lane departure and forward collision stuff. First time the lane departure thing kicked in was a bit strange but now I’m used to it it’s not bad. The forward collision thing does have a setting you can change but the only time it’s gone off so far was for a someone walking there dog on a narrow bit of pavement that I was never in danger of hitting!! Was a bit of a shock with the noise and red flashing light the first time but now ready for it a bit more.

Comment

It doesn’t happen that often, I’m happy for it to wake me up now and again [emoji23]

Comment

I find it just right. I can always see why the collision alert activates. Not once have I though to myself, why this time.

The pedestrian alert tends to only show the amber icon in the driver's display when they're walking on the outside of the pavement closer to the road edge. It only flashes up on the windscreen if they step onto the road.

I can't praise this technology enough. I think it's brilliant and really do think new cars should be forced to have it. It happened with tpms . That became law on new cars in 2014. I wouldn't stop there. Who knows....it could cut insurance claims in half.

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                              I find it just right. I can always see why the collision alert activates. Not once have I though to myself, why this time.

The pedestrian alert tends to only show the amber icon in the driver's display when they're walking on the outside of the pavement closer to the road edge. It only flashes up on the windscreen if they step onto the road.

I can't praise this technology enough. I think it's brilliant and really do think new cars should be forced to have it. It happened with tpms . That became law on new cars in 2014. I wouldn't stop there. Who knows....it could cut insurance claims in half.
                              Ditto Marko301

Comment

Working...
                              X