Sick Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Insignia

Hi guys. New to this so please be gentle with me. I have had Vauxhall’s for many years and maintained and rebuilt many of them. I recently bought a 1.8 Sri with a seemingly blown head gasket. I did extensive tests and ruled out the head gasket. The car would not start but eventually I managed to get it to start on 2 cylinders then 3 then eventually four and at that point the vvt cams were rattling as were the hydraulic lifters and then suddenly I got the low oil pressure warning. I switched it off and it won’t start again. It tries but just catches then cuts out. I have replaced the oil cooler seals, cleaned and refitted that. I have removed the oil pump, checked the gears for wear and all seems fine. I removed the sump where I found some shrapnel in there, a small spring, something that looked like a small piece of plastic. Washed it all out and rebuilt with fresh all and still it takes for ever to start if at all and still sometimes comes up with low oil pressure. Would the lack of oil pressure affect the lifters and vvt enough to stop it starting. I don’t know why but I suspect the ECU may have issues as can’t pull any live data off it or output tests with Opcom. I was looking at a replacement engine but they are extortionate. I have also tried to see what the difference between the A18XER and the Z18XER engines are as they look identical but a fraction of the price. Is it possibly the bell housing due to the 6 speed box in the Insignia. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long winded speech. Thanks

Have a read,not sure if petrols suffer from this:
    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
      Have a read,not sure if petrols suffer from this:
      https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/...in-Sump-A20DTH
      Thanks mate. Completely different setup on the 1.8 petrol.

Comment

Is it too late to return the car. Prob reason why it was sold on.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
          Is it too late to return the car. Prob reason why it was sold on.
          It has been played with so no. Was it sold on the basis of 'spares or repair' in which case no - sounds as though it was sold as having a fault so very much buyer beware.

Sometimes I see on eBay a listing that states something like 'no MOT, such and such a problem easy repair'. Well, if it is such an easy repair and that is the problem then the seller would have repaired it, got an MOT and sold the car for much more than the repair cost.

Comment

If you have a spring and bits in the sump I'd say the oil pump is FUBAR. The spring loaded relief valve has disntegrated, hence low oil pressure. I'd replace oil pump and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Twinstacks View Post
              Hi guys. New to this so please be gentle with me. I have had Vauxhall’s for many years and maintained and rebuilt many of them. I recently bought a 1.8 Sri with a seemingly blown head gasket. I did extensive tests and ruled out the head gasket. The car would not start but eventually I managed to get it to start on 2 cylinders then 3 then eventually four and at that point the vvt cams were rattling as were the hydraulic lifters and then suddenly I got the low oil pressure warning. I switched it off and it won’t start again. It tries but just catches then cuts out. I have replaced the oil cooler seals, cleaned and refitted that. I have removed the oil pump, checked the gears for wear and all seems fine. I removed the sump where I found some shrapnel in there, a small spring, something that looked like a small piece of plastic. Washed it all out and rebuilt with fresh all and still it takes for ever to start if at all and still sometimes comes up with low oil pressure. Would the lack of oil pressure affect the lifters and vvt enough to stop it starting. I don’t know why but I suspect the ECU may have issues as can’t pull any live data off it or output tests with Opcom. I was looking at a replacement engine but they are extortionate. I have also tried to see what the difference between the A18XER and the Z18XER engines are as they look identical but a fraction of the price. Is it possibly the bell housing due to the 6 speed box in the Insignia. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long winded speech. Thanks
              Hello
              New to this forum. I've got similar problem with my a18xer. It starts but low on oil pressure. Took the sump off and found a small spring and a small plastic something there too.
              I'm just wondering if you know where the spring and plastic bit came from.

Comment

Working...
              X