Wheelnut Cover Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelnut Cover Removal

Is there some kind of special tool to remove the wheelnut covers?

The ones on both sides of my rear wheels came off just by "wiggling" with my fingers but the front ones are jammed on proper tight.

I used a pair of pliers on one of the fronts but just ended up mangling it in order to get it off which I don't want to have to do on the others.

Thanks folks.

There was a tool issued in some kits, I don't have one, so I made one up using a strip of stainless steel. It does make things easier.

edit:- this is the sort of thing:-

or this:-

Comment

Originally posted by Red Stoat View Post
      There was a tool issued in some kits, I don't have one, so I made one up using a strip of stainless steel. It does make things easier.

edit:- this is the sort of thing:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-AUDI-...IAAOSwv2RZnOzw
      Nice one - do you reckon that'd do the job on the Insignia covers as well?

Been looking all over for something like that. Now that I can see the recess I might try with a couple of loops of fishing line.

Comment

They all look do-able, a screwdriver will do the job but alloys are so easy to mark.

Comment

They all look do-able, a screwdriver will do the job but alloys are so easy to mark.
          Screwdrivers, stuck covers, alloy wheels - they are the key ingredients for me to have a disaster there mate - LOL

I'm going to invest in the red-handled ones I reckon.

Will report back as soon as I've tried them out.

Comment

Let me know how to remove a stuck metal valve cap from the metal tpms valves

Comment

Originally posted by BlabyLoyal View Post
              Is there some kind of special tool to remove the wheelnut covers?

front ones are jammed on proper tight.

I used a pair of pliers on one of the fronts but just ended up mangling it in order to get it off which I don't want to have to do on the others.

Thanks folks.
              Can you spray WD40 on them?

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                Can you spray WD40 on them?
                Did think of that but I can't see how the WD would be able to get between the cover and the bolt to be of any benefit though.

Comment

Any penetrating oil should "search" into the cover, I know what you mean about cheapo alloy dust caps, they are best avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                    Let me know how to remove a stuck metal valve cap from the metal tpms valves
                    This is how I did it on my Vectra when I had aftermarket "monkey metal" valve caps weld onto the valve stem.

1. Rotate the wheel so that the valve is at the 12 o'clock position.
                    2. Boil a kettle of water.
                    3. Get a beer bottle (I used a Budweiser bottle) or anything with a long, thin neck (probably not a giraffe though)
                    4. Wrap something around the bottle so that you can hold it without getting scalded when you fill it with boiling water.
                    5. Fill the bottle up to the rim (ooooh matron) with the boiling water. Care needed here.
                    6. Carefully take the bottle of water to the wheel and immerse the valve cap in the boiling water. Again, care needed here.
                    7. Leave for a minute or two and if you are lucky the valve cap will have expanded enough off the stem to enable removal.

As with anything involving boiling water please take all precautions to avoid spills, scalds etc.

Also, there was no TPMS on the Vectra so I don't know what impact, if any, this method might have on it. Very little I suspect if you just immerse the valve cap only.

Comment

Any penetrating oil should "search" into the cover, I know what you mean about cheapo alloy dust caps, they are best avoided.
                      The only way to get the stuck valve cap off now is carefully use a dremmel to get them off.

Comment

Originally posted by BlabyLoyal View Post
                        This is how I did it on my Vectra when I had aftermarket "monkey metal" valve caps weld onto the valve stem.

1. Rotate the wheel so that the valve is at the 12 o'clock position.
                        2. Boil a kettle of water.
                        3. Get a beer bottle (I used a Budweiser bottle) or anything with a long, thin neck (probably not a giraffe though)
                        4. Wrap something around the bottle so that you can hold it without getting scalded when you fill it with boiling water.
                        5. Fill the bottle up to the rim (ooooh matron) with the boiling water. Care needed here.
                        6. Carefully take the bottle of water to the wheel and immerse the valve cap in the boiling water. Again, care needed here.
                        7. Leave for a minute or two and if you are lucky the valve cap will have expanded enough off the stem to enable removal.

As with anything involving boiling water please take all precautions to avoid spills, scalds etc.

Also, there was no TPMS on the Vectra so I don't know what impact, if any, this method might have on it. Very little I suspect if you just immerse the valve cap only.
                        Thanks I give that ago.

Comment

Sounds good to me Blaby, If you are buying a tool, you could destroy the old covers & replace:-
                          Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for GEN2 Injected Black Wheel Nut Bolt Covers 22mm Bolt for Vauxhall Insignia 08-16 at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products.

Comment

I took my locking wheel nuts of my GS and replaced with normal bolts. Got these to cover them. Don't know how they do it for that price. They are GM marked too
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-V....c100675.m4236
                            Last edited by Minuteman; 13-03-2018, 08:01 PM.
                            sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Working...
                            X