Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motor noise after new dmf and clutch

Hi,

I have had my car in the garage to have a new dmf and clutch.

When I picked it up the mechanic said that the starter motor is making a strange noise and it can be due to the new teeth on the dmf being new and the starter motor will be worn to the old one. When I start the car I get the noise but it’s also like it’s lagging a little. Has anyone ever had this issue or know what it might be?

I was thinking it could also be the battery on its way out or both.

Thanks

Had a new DMF and clutch kit on mine 2 months ago, never had any issues like that since. Sounds like a load of boXXocks to me.

Comment

I just completed new clutch and dmf and replaced oil pickup seal and I'm getting the same problem. The starter motor turns over faster than it used to but startup seems to lag and when engine kicks in I'm getting a rattle from it.
      Does this sound the same as what happened to yours? And did you resolve it?

Comment

I would be checking that its fitted correct (no gap between mating face) I;m thinking its posabley cocked over and gat wedged as its tighten up.

Comment

I managed to get rid of the lag by taking starter off and cleaning the shaft on the pinion gear with brake cleaner and toothbrush as it seemed a bit sticky. It now springs back instantly. However im still getting the metallic rattle after the engine catches on warm starts. Cold starts are totally fine. There is now another thread on here with somebody getting the exact same issue so I'm going to keep an eye on that to see wots wot.
          They're is talk there of the crank gear pin shearing but I had this replaced year and a half ago so shouldn't be that

Comment

Originally posted by csak1981 View Post
            I managed to get rid of the lag by taking starter off and cleaning the shaft on the pinion gear with brake cleaner and toothbrush as it seemed a bit sticky. It now springs back instantly. However im still getting the metallic rattle after the engine catches on warm starts. Cold starts are totally fine. There is now another thread on here with somebody getting the exact same issue so I'm going to keep an eye on that to see wots wot.
            They're is talk there of the crank gear pin shearing but I had this replaced year and a half ago so shouldn't be that

Hi there. Do you have the outcome? Garage have advised the same with mine but have also advised they have put a washer in to separate the starter and flywheel and seems to have fixed it no issues but awaiting getting the car back.

Comment

Originally posted by falcon1984 View Post
              Hi there. Do you have the outcome? Garage have advised the same with mine but have also advised they have put a washer in to separate the starter and flywheel and seems to have fixed it no issues but awaiting getting the car back.
              Hello I don't think he dose know the outcome , he has not been back on since 2018 .
              Just see the outcome when you get your car back .
              But I do remember not long ago someone fitted a new DMF and starter motor ,only to find out there was a bit of difference in years and spec , so he had to redo the whole lot again ..
              20-20 rubber starter motor

.K.M.P.C.U
              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by falcon1984 View Post
                hi and weclome

we always like when new members join our forum.
                would you care to visit this section of the forum...………….

and introduce yourself properly to everyone.

Tell us a bit about yourself and maybe share a pic or 2 of your car.

Thanks...………...much appreciated.

Comment

Yeah the garage is a one man band who is a honest bloke so he has placed this washer in place (says its only about a 1mm difference we are talking) and it stops the starter from grinding with the flywheel. He said the DMF that was taken off is a different size to the one put in but minimal. (I ordered the parts) he said that the washer he has put in has now separated the two and theoretically that should do the trick but he wanted to ask if I was ok with that or re order new parts but then that would result in starting from scratch.

Will report feedback though once I have it back with me. Still a few things to finish up with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                    hi and weclome

we always like when new members join our forum.
                    would you care to visit this section of the forum...………….

and introduce yourself properly to everyone.

Tell us a bit about yourself and maybe share a pic or 2 of your car.

Thanks...………...much appreciated.
                    Will do. Once I have the car back up and running!

Many thanks!

Comment

Had car back a few weeks now. Does not seem to be any problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X