Alloy wheels damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloy wheels damage?

Hi folks. All four of my alloys have developed a kind of pitting on edge. Not kerbed and not used acid cleaner. Anyone else experienced this. Photos of problem on link. Any help appreciated. Car is only 2 years old and not done much miles. https://flickr.com/photos/98516632@N...57692745641041

Not seen anything like that before, can't decide if it's stone chips or corrosion. I would be asking the dealer for their opinion, it could well be a bad batch.

Comment

Possibly a cheap quick repair on wheels before you bought car
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

the wheels are diamond cut so doesn't look like a repair job, most likely the lacquer is slightly damaged from mounting tyres
        i would recommend get the lacquer removed, wheels polished to remove rust and re-lacquered to stop it getting worse

Comment

Laquer is lifting on those..

I believe Chewy1971 had this issue on his Atomics and Vauxhall replaced them under warranty for him... I may be wrong though

Comment

I'd say its part of life and owning a car.

Comment

Hi WHIPPY-WOOLLEY - 9jdm - yes I did have an issue with my alloy wheels where they began laquer lifting on a large flat surface near the wheel nuts - this occurred on every wheel all in the same location. I resolved this by emailing Vauxhall Customer Services with a detail of the problem and some photos of the issue. They responded asking me to take the car to a dealer where the car would be inspected and a case opened. Within 4 weeks, Vauxhall emailed me to advise that there was a full set of new atomic alloy wheels at my local dealer waiting to be fitted under warranty.
              At the time, my car was only 18 months old from new, the new wheels are still on the car now after having covered 35k miles, and still look brand new.

Comment

all went quiet,.. I pm'd you as well 9jdm ... did you get anything sorted?

Comment

Hi. Sorry haven't got back to update. Yes got your pm. Really appreciate the care and attention you have given this newby. I followed up with my dealer. Bit complicated as car is in Ireland at moment and dealer is Opel! Anyways they submitted claim and have agreed to replace all four alloys. The guy is very good at dealer and says that it's not unknown for these to exhibit the problem. I have 3 vauxhalls and was well ready for a fight using your advice. Many thanks.

Comment

Hi All,

Joined his forum for some advice and noticed this thread where I think I might be in the same boat as a few folk.

Below are images of the Atomic Alloys on my 16 plate vx-line I purchased in August last year; wheels were in what I recall, mint condition.

Contacted Vauxhall Customer Care this morning for some advice. Worth getting in touch with my dealership?

Should add that this is my rear drivers side alloy, worst case, but the ‘corrosion’ is becoming apparent on all four alloys and the development of the issue has been rapid.

Pretty worried tbh as that’s less than a year I’ve had the vehicle and the shines been totally taken off it with the condition of the alloys and absolutely no idea if they’ll be repaired.

Comment

Hi I viewed your photos. Mine were all four the same but nowhere near as bad as yours. Mine were replaced by Opel as I am based outside U.K. and only after they had verified service record and mileage. The car has only done 11k and was on 6 when I bought it a year ago. Original tyres. They checked with the dealer I purchased from in the U.K. to verify they were originals.
                      I am reliably told that it will probably return as is the nature of the lip where the lacquer on diamond cut alloys is susceptible to corrosion from any acid cleaners, grit and salt and even the bloody air. I am more optimistic as I suspect that it must be a problem in the manufacture as I routinely check cars I see and they look fine. Good luck.

Comment

Morning folks,

5 weeks after taking my vehicle to my local Vauxhall dealership and raising a warranty issue; I contacted the dealership for an update. My car has been booked in next week to fit a replacement set of new alloys.

Certainly a happy Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Wohlst View Post
                          Morning folks,

5 weeks after taking my vehicle to my local Vauxhall dealership and raising a warranty issue; I contacted the dealership for an update. My car has been booked in next week to fit a replacement set of new alloys.

Certainly a happy Friday.
                          Lucky man! That's not a bad outcome at all from a dealer......Make sure you buy a lottery ticked this week too!
                          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Working...
                          X