Potential new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential new car

Looking to make the transition from the Vectra to the Insignia want to get out of a diesel back in to a petrol car is there anything I should be looking out for on the above car going to have a look at it tomorrow

Thanks

Looks a lovely car mate, but going on what others have said, its under powered for a 1.8 due to the size of the body

Comment

I think that one is underpowered and over priced...
      LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
        Looks a lovely car mate, but going on what others have said, its under powered for a 1.8 due to the size of the body
        I thought it may be struggling to find a 2.0 turbo in sports tourer I have found one but it’s on a 60 plate and is an elite and they want just short of £9000 for it which I feel is a bit pricey the only other sports tourers I have found have been vxr’s which I would love but are a little out of my reach at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by xX JT Xx View Post
          I thought it may be struggling to find a 2.0 turbo in sports tourer I have found one but it’s on a 60 plate and is an elite and they want just short of £9000 for it which I feel is a bit pricey the only other sports tourers I have found have been vxr’s which I would love but are a little out of my reach at the moment
          I'm the opposite.....I went from a petrol Vectra to a diesel insignia and absolutely love it.
          the test drive swayed me plus free road tax

Comment

I've got a 1.8 Hatch, and it's ok for me, but certainly not a quick beast by any stretch of the imagination.

And as for their 36.2 MPG figure they are quoting, don't believe that for a minute. I drive like Miss Daisy, and struggle to get much more than 32-33 MPG out of mine with mixed town/motorway driving. It's marginally better during the summer, but drops in the winter.

Does look well in white though.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
              I'm the opposite.....I went from a petrol Vectra to a diesel insignia and absolutely love it.
              the test drive swayed me plus free road tax
              My problem is I drive about 10 to 20 miles a day if that unless we are out for the day or have gone camping so don’t think I can justify running a diesel I bought my Vectra diesel on 33000 miles and have had it 7 years and it has just clocked 90100 miles

Comment

The 2-litre and 2.8-litre petrols are rare, therefore good ones tend to be fairly expensive. Estate versions are even rarer and even more expensive.

When I was looking for an Insignia I looked at a 2.8 Estate which had been reduced a bit after sitting on a forecourt for a couple of months and had only done maybe 30 miles in two months since the advert had the mileage on it.
                I offered what I thought was at the top end of sensible and they said something along the lines of: 'We know it's overpriced but it's the best 2.8 estate on the market right now and they're very rare so we'll continue holding out for someone who is willing to pay £££££ for it'.

As I wasn't bothered whether estate or hatch, I left it. I eventually found the hatchback that I have now but I still paid a bit of a premium for it because it was the best of its type around at the time, and is probably in the top 5-10% best examples of its type.

As for a 1.8-litre Insignia estate, it claims 0-60 in 11.6s and I'm of the opinion that more than 12s is too slow for joining busy fast roads so it's just about OK but only just.
                I sometimes share my wife's 1.8-litre Zafira B which claims a similar 0-60 time to the 1.8 Insignia and while not fast, her Zafira is not dangerously slow if you're prepared to rev it on occasion, and it's fine for mixed driving but gets a bit noisy on the motorway due to the need for naturally aspirated engines to rev quite high to produce enough power.

The Insignia 1.8 may have a sixth gear but you might not find many opportunities to use 6th due to the lack of low-mid-range torque.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
                  The 2-litre and 2.8-litre petrols are rare, therefore good ones tend to be fairly expensive. Estate versions are even rarer and even more expensive.

When I was looking for an Insignia I looked at a 2.8 Estate which had been reduced a bit after sitting on a forecourt for a couple of months and had only done maybe 30 miles in two months since the advert had the mileage on it.
                  I offered what I thought was at the top end of sensible and they said something along the lines of: 'We know it's overpriced but it's the best 2.8 estate on the market right now and they're very rare so we'll continue holding out for someone who is willing to pay £££££ for it'.

As I wasn't bothered whether estate or hatch, I left it. I eventually found the hatchback that I have now but I still paid a bit of a premium for it because it was the best of its type around at the time, and is probably in the top 5-10% best examples of its type.

As for a 1.8-litre Insignia estate, it claims 0-60 in 11.6s and I'm of the opinion that more than 12s is too slow for joining busy fast roads so it's just about OK but only just.
                  I sometimes share my wife's 1.8-litre Zafira B which claims a similar 0-60 time to the 1.8 Insignia and while not fast, her Zafira is not dangerously slow if you're prepared to rev it on occasion, and it's fine for mixed driving but gets a bit noisy on the motorway due to the need for naturally aspirated engines to rev quite high to produce enough power.

The Insignia 1.8 may have a sixth gear but you might not find many opportunities to use 6th due to the lack of low-mid-range torque.

This is the car in question and is the only one I can find in the country just feel it’s priced a bit too high but I’m sure you guys may be better judges on this than me as have little experience of the insignia

Comment

Originally posted by puppet View Post
                    I've got a 1.8 Hatch, and it's ok for me, but certainly not a quick beast by any stretch of the imagination.

And as for their 36.2 MPG figure they are quoting, don't believe that for a minute. I drive like Miss Daisy, and struggle to get much more than 32-33 MPG out of mine with mixed town/motorway driving. It's marginally better during the summer, but drops in the winter.

Does look well in white though.
                    Out of town, on faster roads, I don't think engine size makes much difference because the lower-powered engines have to work hard whereas the bigger engines are just getting into their stride.
                    I find my 2.8 is surprisingly good out of town and it'll cruise along the NSL roads all day long and still meet the official 'extra-urban' mpg figures (35-40mpg) even after adjusting for its lying trip computer. In fact, the bigger and 'dirtier' the engine, the more likely it is to meet official mpg figures because it's not trying to pretend to be clean and green.

My 2.8 even meets the official figure for 'urban driving'; 15-20mpg (thirsty).
                    Town driving really hurts mpg with larger-engine cars but the 1.4T Insignia should do well in town, although, as said, the smaller the engine the further its mpg tends to be from the official figures, but 25-30mpg in town wouldn't surprise me for a 1.4T, and 20-25mpg from the 1.8 or 2-litre petrols.

Comment

https://www.middlebrookcars.co.uk/us...283.1514420481

This is the car in question and is the only one I can find in the country just feel it’s priced a bit too high but I’m sure you guys may be better judges on this than me as have little experience of the insignia
                      Overvalued to the extent that even hard haggling is unlikely to bring it down to a sensible price. Walk away.

This one is within haggling distance of a sensible price (1.6-litre turbo - sriray has same engine in his car):

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
                        Overvalued to the extent that even hard haggling is unlikely to bring it down to a sensible price. Walk away.

This one is within haggling distance of a sensible price (1.6-litre turbo - sriray has same engine in his car):

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...NSIGNIA&page=1
                        That's really basic spec the op might not like it. But then again he can start modding it as soon as he gets it .

The centre dic is bit basic.

Comment

Nic looking but is over priced for what it is.I paid £6000 for my 60 plate elite tourer and that was slightly over priced. Also im sure that has the wrong steering wheel for a vx-line. I might be mistaken but i thought they were flat bottomed

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                            That's really basic spec the op might not like it. But then again he can start modding it as soon as he gets it .

The centre dic is bit basic.
                            Yes, basic spec. Unfortunately petrol estate Insignias are rare and it sounds like the OP is on a budget.
                            On the plus side, those steel wheels with large-sidewall tyres should be just right for resisting the hits from the potholed third-world tracks we now have to drive on - and no worries about kerbing.

Comment

Cheapest 2.0T I can find, a bit of haggling would bring it down to a fair price, but it's done 100k:
                              I'd bet on it being an ex-dealer demo car due to its combination of age, the dark grey colour and cream leather seats.

Comment

Working...
                              X