EGR issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR issue

Had the EGR fault code pop up on the insignia and finally got round to having a look at it. Tried running a can of wynns EGR cleaner through the inlet at idle then reconnected the pipe to find that my dpf was now blocked. Took her for a spin keeping the revs at about 3k and that seems to have sorted the dpf message but will have to clear the codes at work and see if the EGR issue is fixed. Anyone else had EGR issues and how did you fix them?

Originally posted by Dakelly112 View Post
    Had the EGR fault code pop up on the insignia and finally got round to having a look at it. Tried running a can of wynns EGR cleaner through the inlet at idle then reconnected the pipe to find that my dpf was now blocked. Took her for a spin keeping the revs at about 3k and that seems to have sorted the dpf message but will have to clear the codes at work and see if the EGR issue is fixed. Anyone else had EGR issues and how did you fix them?
    The only way I know is to take it off and clean it properly, not about blanking the bugger or not one you’ve done though

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
      The only way I know is to take it off and clean it properly, not about blanking the bugger or not one you’ve done though
      I had a feeling that would be the case, but thought it would be worth trying the spray through cleaner. Is it a big job taking the EGR system off the cdti to clean it?

Comment

I had a feeling that would be the case, but thought it would be worth trying the spray through cleaner. Is it a big job taking the EGR system off the cdti to clean it?
        There is a how to on here somewhere but I’ve no idea how to link to it.

Comment

There is a how to on here somewhere but I’ve no idea how to link to it.
          No worries will have a look

Comment

No worries will have a look
            Ok seems I got it wrong

The write up is is the vx.o.n Tapatalk pages under Astra J/FTC howto’s

If it’s not too cold I’ll get mine done next weekend

Comment

I took the pipe and the valve off and gave them both a good clean out, the pipe was filled with crud and the valve didn't look too clever either, I'll get the codes cleared at work and see if it's made a difference

Comment

Good luck pal. Egr blockage is nasty and is not like the dpf where it can regen to clear it.
                I had a complete egr blockage on my old vec c. Car wouldn't start and half the street filled with white smoke.

Comment

Well it still started after I cleaned the valve and the pipe, but I dread to think what the inside of my inlet manifold looks like. Wondering if it would be worth pulling it off and steam cleaning it.

Also if I ditched the EGR pipe blanked off the EGR ports would the ECU spit its dummy out?

Comment

Well it still started after I cleaned the valve and the pipe, but I dread to think what the inside of my inlet manifold looks like. Wondering if it would be worth pulling it off and steam cleaning it.

Also if I ditched the EGR pipe blanked off the EGR ports would the ECU spit its dummy out?
                    Not sure on this engine, certainly the old 1.9 would throw an eml but that could go off or even stay on

Comment

Well since I ran that cleaner through it the mpg on my display has increased by 2.5mpg so maybe it has done some good.

Comment

Well since I ran that cleaner through it the mpg on my display has increased by 2.5mpg so maybe it has done some good.
                        I’ve got the cleaning spray but now need the weather to be nice so I can strip it all down

Comment

I’ve got the cleaning spray but now need the weather to be nice so I can strip it all down
                          All I did was pull the egr pipe which I think is 3 10mms and two 5mm Alan key bolts and two t30's to get the valve off. Give them both a good blast with carb cleaner and scrub them with a wire brush. The wynns EGR intake cleaner is to be used when the engines running but only takes about 20 mins to run the whole can through. But you'll probably need to regen the dpf after that

Comment

Working...
                          X