Take note those with 170 whisper engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take note those with 170 whisper engine

Well here's a salutary tale about my 65 reg Elite 170 cdti.
    I do mega miles as I use the car for work she's currently on 97K.
    started making some odd noises noticeable at idling, tapping, rattling etc.
    Had the car into VX at 80K for a service and they say Oh its a bit "tappy", you noticed then?
    All the hype re this engine I recall was about it having a cam chain, not so as I have discovered, its got a belt and two sprockets and a chain tying the cams together.
    Did VX flag up that it was due for a cam belt change, nope, I had to tell them after my own research as they didnt know!
    Bloody Muppet's! they sheepishly apologised.
    anyway I've had it to my local (very good) independent today and see this lot:-
    Explore peter mcandrew’s 3 photos on Flickr!

Cam chain stretched like its an old elastic band and sprockets worn to serious extent where you can see it has been hitting the bottom of the housing!
    and this is after I've really looked after it, ie oil has been changed at every 10K.
    So be warned guys and keep an ear to the engine at idle every now and again!

Certainly is some serious stretching there
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Not sure what that's about

Comment

I have a low tolerance for photos which claim to be like for like 'photos. These fall into this category, and fail. The chain isn't even on the sprocket. From what I see the sprockets don't show any noticeable wear.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Although I mentioned the sprockets the real problem is obviously the chain, it has stretched or more accurately worn to such an extent that at the bottom it was hitting the housing, this has to be a design fault surely? this is oil lubricated, reminds me of the issues VX had with the chains on the 2 litre petrols a few years back, you would have thought they would have learned their lesson.
            as this is not an oil starvation issue I'd like to know what VX have to say about it.
            there is no service schedule for this as far as I know i.e its supposed to last the life of the engine, fat chance of that.
            The engine is as sweet as a nut now its been sorted.

Comment

Apologies, I should have been paying more attention to the second 2 photos. On any of the chain driven engines I've had like my last honda 2.2 (which is now on 300k) there has been no change interval specified which I assume is the same with any chain? This one is only what, 40cm long, the Honda's is about 2m? To need replacement after 100k is farcical. There must be a manufacturer problem. With a '65 plate you have recourse to VX? I didnt think this wear is possible with a chain especially so short? I dont know.

Comment

Yes I reckon this is going to open up a bit of a can of worms when I send this info to my local VX garage, the service manager there I know quite well and he lends me his car from time to time!
                as you say and as the guy who repaired it also said its a very short bit of chain, has to be a cheapo part they've used.
                no surprise there I suppose!
                probably telling that this kit i.e the sprockets,chain, guides & tensioner was only about £50 and that was from VX!
                I will post what I get back from VX in due course.

Comment

most items which they say last the life of the car is 100k miles
                  these days cars are not designed to last that long
                  for example the gearboxs are sealed for the life of the car, but if like me you keep your car forever then you should change the gearbox oil
                  the cars in my family do 250k miles minimum before we get rid of them and we do all the maintenance ourselves with the help of a mechanic friend for the tricky bits like clutches etc

car companies expect you to change cars every 3-5 years, and any old cars you buy 2nd hand they don't anything to do with them and any faults will be blamed on the previous owners poor maintenance of the car

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
                    most items which they say last the life of the car is 100k miles
                    these days cars are not designed to last that long
                    Yes, Vauxhall's 'lifetime' is 10yrs/100k - whichever comes first.

Comment

Working...
                    X