Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPF and passive regeneration

Hi all.

Although not new to desiel engines I am new to DPFs. I was under the impression that a DPF has two ways of clearing out the soot. Passive and active.

Passive being when the car is driving at a steady speed and over a certain revs.

Active being a forced regen when the soot concentration exceeds 45 percent.

The issue (or my stupidity) is that my car doesn't seem to be passive regenerating.

My drive to work consists of a 37 mile drive with 36 miles of that being motorway. The times that I drive normally mean there isn't much traffic and I'm able to keep to 72 mph in 6th.

I've got a little app (there's always a app) on my phone which connects to a obd reader and although I haven't had much time to investigate the soot levels build when driving and only decrease after a active regen.

Is this correct?

There are no codes or errors popping up.

Personally I would not worry about it - it you are not getting any warning lights I would assume all is good!

Comment

Based on my experiences, I'd say passive regeneration doesn't occur.
      In the past I've had regens begin after an hour cruising at 70-80mph whereas if passive regeneration occurred the DPF should have been cleared by that long fast run.

Comment

Why not fit the small led that most diesel owners fit

Comment

It seems after a little more testing simply slows down the rate of how the percentage goes up if you get what I mean? Ie burning as it drives and not storing it?

I don't feel the need for a light. The mpg gives it away along with the obd reader which tracks when the car is doing a regen.

Comment

Every two weeks religiously,mine does one ,as did previous one
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

passive regen requires a catalyst which the system fitted to Insignia does not have. All regens on Insignia are active i.e triggered by ECU and managed by ECU. There is no scope for passive regens.

Comment

Thank you Buttons that makes sense.

Any idea why they designed there engine to operate this way with the passive regeneration?

Comment

An Insignia is able to do a passive regeneration, but that will only legally happen in Germany (or the Island of Man) as it requires you to drive about 150 km/h (2500 rpm in 6th gear). Regeneration happens then the exhaust gasses reaches about 620 degrees Celcius. This can happen actively by adding additional fuel to burn in the catalyst convertor, or passively by a high engine. Such a load requires you to drive over 150 km/h.

When I notice the fuel consumption goes up due to the active regeneration, when possible I speed up to about 155, so it al least I benefit a bit from the regeneration. Free extra speed as the fuel consumption stays the same, 120 km/u with active regeneration or 155 with passive uses about the same amount of fuel per kilometer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
                    An Insignia is able to do a passive regeneration, but that will only legally happen in Germany (or the Island of Man) as it requires you to drive about 150 km/h (2500 rpm in 6th gear). Regeneration happens then the exhaust gasses reaches about 620 degrees Celcius. This can happen actively by adding additional fuel to burn in the catalyst convertor, or passively by a high engine. Such a load requires you to drive over 150 km/h.

When I notice the fuel consumption goes up due to the active regeneration, when possible I speed up to about 155, so it al least I benefit a bit from the regeneration. Free extra speed as the fuel consumption stays the same, 120 km/u with active regeneration or 155 with passive uses about the same amount of fuel per kilometer.
                    That makes things clearer thank you. Now i know what excuse im going to use the next time im caught speeding

Comment

Just to bring this topic back to life. My DPF saturation is currently at 60 percent. I've done over 600 miles since my last regeneration. I do over 90 percent motorway driving and drive over 80 miles a day on the motorway.

What level will the car start a regen?

Thanks.

Comment

Around 80%

Comment

Originally posted by jimboy26 View Post
                          Around 80%
                          Thank you. So considering most of my drive consists of driving on the motorway for 30 to 40 minutes do all Vauxhall's get to 80 percent then regen and repeat?

Comment

Yes, but I can only speak from my personal experience. The level will decrease to varying levels but never back to 0%.

Comment

The minimum I managed to get to was 9%. Cruise control set on 70mph in 4th gear just over 2500rpm, no traffic on M23.

Comment

Working...
                              X