Brakes locked on - HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes locked on - HELP!!!!

Changed the front discs and pads this morning. Careful (so I thought) to clamp off the flexible hoses to stop fluid going back to the brake unit - aware that can cause problems. Finished the job, got in the car to move it from where I had been working and brakes stuck on. Jacked up one side and brake on firm. Opened the bleed nipple that side and got the OH to push on the brake pedal and fluid flowed. Did up the bleed nipple and wheel moving. Did not check whether other wheels were free. Got in car, started it, hoping that all brakes free so that I could move it and in order to release parking brake had to push down brake pedal and brakes stuck on again.

My understanding of not pushing fluid back in to the masster cylinder is that it can screw a non return valve. Thinking that I may not have clamped off the flexible enough.

Anyone else experienced this and how did you sort it or, any suggestions as to how to cure this other than take it to a garage.

Many thanks for any help........

Currently, down in rural SW France, why, oh why, did I not do this in Lincolnshire! - still it is done now.

Don't need to clamp the hose, just take reservoir top off, while you push the piston back
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Try taking cap off brake fluid reservoir to release pressure
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

SOLVED.

Jacked up a rear wheel with the parking brake off and the rear wheel turned.

Thought, is the new disc wider. Took a front wheel off and measured the same as the unworn part of the old disc. Then noticed that the hub turned so brake not on. Put the wheel back on and went to the other front wheel. Jacked it up and it was solid. Took the wheel off and discovered that the hub would turn. Closer inspection and the caliper was fouling the aftermarket wheel - and AXE 10 sold as suitable for an Insignia. Put some washers on the studs and discovered that it would need 6mm of packing to avoid the fouling and definitely not something I wanted to do.

Fitted the old worn pads, refitted the wheels and the car would move.

So the next moves - complain to the supplier as being totally unsuitable for a Vauxhall Insignia, obtain a good set of Vauxhall wheels and then fit the new pads.

Comment

10mm spacers would sort it,if you like the wheels

Comment

Working...
          X