rusty or poor paint door seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rusty or poor paint door seams

My 2011 SRI tourer has been one of the best cars i had with no issues at 64,000 miles.

Last week on washing the car i noticed paint work on the rear passenger door had imperfections all down the seam and along the bottom.
    The front drivers door has a little of the same.

It looks like paint is deteriorating and lifting from the surface like little spider webs.
    Obviously some form of defect here because if left will become rusty in time.

I have not rubbed back,however would not think rust has formed yet.
    Has any others checked and noticed the same?

The nearside doors are intact and I find this so disappointing as the vehicle felt as if it would last a long time.

I would not even bother at this stage to go near vauxhall as I do all my own servicing.

My older e91 BMW 3 2.5 tourer on a 56 plate puts this to shame as it has no rust.

have you checked under doors and removed the drainage seals,i could here water sloshing about on mine they where blocked with crap,ive taken them out now

Comment

My drivers door has the same all the way along the bottom. Have decided to get the door replaced at somepoint

Comment

Sadly some Insignias are shocking for rust.

Comment

Aready removed door drainage seals required a wash to remove residue,however mainly clear.

Looking on the 'rust buster' site some info:

Crevice corrosion will form where the passive layer inside the crevice or seam can no longer regenerate due to insufficient oxygen within the crevice or seam this could be due to dirt or other contaminants blocking the seam or crevice, the area trapped within the seam will become more anodic ( less noble) than the surrounding surface steel. Rust formation will occur as soon as humidity comes into play with the rust working its way out of the gap in the crevice. This type of rust formation can be up to 400 times faster than that of surface steel due to the lack of oxygen but presence of humidity.

I will obtain

Comment

lost part of my previous post.

I will rub down area obtain a suitable degreasing product,treat with a non acidic rust converter (FE123) and paint.
            The damage is light.
            I think the door seals are not allowing enough air to disperse humidity. I seen this on old Volvo 850s with improved seals to cut wind noise.
            Thanks for the replies and any further comments would be welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X