Cold air feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold air feed

Well, I got a bit bored this afternoon, so I decided to take the drivers wheel off to see where exactly the cold air supply for the airbox comes from and if anything can be done to help it along a bit. So, jacked the car up took the arch liner off and then saw this.

So it looks to me like the air feed comes from the main front grill. My thoughts at the moment involve using a hole saw to cut an additional hole in the pipe and then drilling into the plastic by the fog light to open that up and then ducting that into the cold air feed.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this or have done anything with theirs?
    Last edited by sriray; 17-04-2018, 02:54 PM.

Just what is it you hope to gain from doing a modification?
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
      Just what is it you hope to gain from doing a modification?
      Would be looking at getting more air straight into the air box

Comment

Originally posted by Dakelly112 View Post
        Would be looking at getting more air straight into the air box
        And that will do???????
        Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
          And that will do???????
          Erm, well tbh it's pretty much step one of any physical engine mods. If you can get a larger volume of colder air into the intake then, then you get a cooler charge which means you get a bigger bang with more power

Comment

But you are neither going to get a larger volume of air nor colder air. The volume of the engine or individual cylinder has not changed. The engine has a turbo to get a larger air mass into each cylinder the inter-cooler efficiency determining the temperature of this. A bigger more efficient inter-cooler would be a better first step.

Comment

Don't think it will make much difference.

Comment

Getting colder air into the air box will help as the colder the air the denser it is with oxygen and therefore more power. The intercooler will only decrease air temp by a percentage and if the air is already colder the air will be cooled further. The ram effect will also mean the compressor has to work less to create the boost a small but helpful side effect.

I have proved this to be correct via an older engine build were my modified Vectra diesel was running 280 bhp. I build a very large Ram scoop built into my front bumper and increased the size of the pipe running from it to the air box. With identical Data logs on a power run at WOT the intake temps dropped by nearly 10 degrees and BHP was increased by 5. The power increase was only available from 3rd gear onwards due to the RAM effect and I also had less smoke.

I agree on a standard engine a cold air feed with Ram would not be huge but it would there.

This link is very interesting where a diesel tuner proves the point that cold air is incredibly important

Gale shows how a poorly designed intake will starve the turbo's compressor costing you 30 horsepower or more! Before the Banks Engineering Team swaps the s...

Comment

Working...
                X