This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buttons View Post
    I've never towed but I'm fascinated by the detail. I remember the Omega won tow car of the year several years running. I loved mine though never towed. Rear wheel drive an advantage. Insignia 'A' is the old Insignia, 'B' being the new Grand Sport.
    I had an Omega for 10 years, old age caught up with it, daft I know (it's only a car) but when I part exchanged it for my first Insignia, I had to go and give it a pat to say goodbye.
    Towed all over the country with it. Rear wheel drive definitely an advantage. Whisper quite, if you drove it through town, sensibly. But only 16/19 mpg when towing.
    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Interesting that nowhere in the insignia handbook does it state any variants tow limit.
      The 85% limit is only a guide and not legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by phill b View Post
        Interesting that nowhere in the insignia handbook does it state any variants tow limit.
        The 85% limit is only a guide and not legislation.
        Yes, I've looked at 2012, 2014 and 2016 owners manuals but no towing weights listed.
        V5 for my 2.8 says 1800kg although I don't do any towing.

Comment

The braked and unbraked limits are dependent on each individual model and engine combination. They are stated on the cars Registration Certificate.
          On mine the cars plate states max gross vehicle weight is 2330kg and gross train weight is 4090kg. On the Reg Cert the max braked tow weight is 1700kg (unbraked 750kg).
          4090kg - 2330kg = 1760kg. The manual states the rear axle load may be exceeded by 60kg on the tourer when the car is fully loaded, so it all ads up.

Comment

....The braked and unbraked limits are dependent on each individual model and engine combination......
            Interesting that nowhere in the insignia handbook does it state any variants tow limit....
            I knew I had seen towing weights somewhere. They're in the sales brochure, not the car manual!

Comment

ive got a 2016 insignia hatch 2.0cdti 170 bhp

and just bought a elddis 5 berth mtplm 1499 my kerb weight on car is 1613 someones worked it out for me that I would be 93%

my question is when there is 4 of us in the car + towbar and a full boot would the weight of the car be more thus bringing the percentage down

Comment

NO! Only the driver (add 75kg) plus tow bar and a 90% full tank, would add to kerb weight. When did you pass your test, if you pass before 1998 your ok if you pass after that date you can tow only up 3500kg. Your outfit, kerb weight and van weigh together 3112 kg before you start loading the family and luggage in, that would put you very near or above 3500 kg. You would need to take note of the outfits train weight plus the cars gross weight if you load everything in.

As for towing at 93% your motor should manage it easily, particularly if you've had towing experience. The 85% is only a guide, it is not law.
                Plenty of good advice at the beginning of this thread.

PS Make sure that the driver is not already included in your kerb weight figure.
                Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Passed my test 1992 so ok with that
                  Just hope I'm ok towing with the weight I've read up and the figures about 85% were based on vehicle's in the 70 's

Comment

Originally posted by valhalla12 View Post
                    Passed my test 1992 so ok with that
                    Just hope I'm ok towing with the weight I've read up and the figures about 85% were based on vehicle's in the 70 's
                    The 85% Figure is still recommended for new towers, don't know if it ment just 70s cars maybe when it was introduced.
                    I've towed at almost 100% with no problems. Just take your time, no sudden jerky movements and you should have no problems.
                    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

I think this should be made into a sticky .Dave71 knows his stuff on this .and it would help others seeing that we are coming into the holiday season . and this question may come up again.it would keep members on the right side of the law .and allow them to tow safely .
                      Just an idea .

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                        I think this should be made into a sticky .Dave71 knows his stuff on this .and it would help others seeing that we are coming into the holiday season . and this question may come up again.it would keep members on the right side of the law .and allow them to tow safely .
                        Just an idea .
                        Done.
                        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

A 2.0cdti insignia will easily and safely tow a caravan around 1500kg mtpl

Comment

buy a landrover defender, and tow 3.5t. That way you can put them all in the caravan and drive in peace.

Comment

buy a landrover defender, and tow 3.5t. That way you can put them all in the caravan and drive in peace.
                              Sorry buttons you've lost me
                              Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

There is a car and caravan match app on Caravan club, looks ok, UKcampsite also do a matching service.

Comment

Working...
                                X