This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has above I have a 2016 cdti insignia 170bhp the caravan is 1499mtpl

and it towes really well always measure the nose weight always have it just over 80kg

Comment

Originally posted by valhalla12 View Post

and it towes really well always measure the nose weight always have it just over 80kg
      what is your fuel consumption like,when towing ,,im thinking about it
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

not too bad I would say between 32 to just over 40 on the motorway when you get it in 6th gear

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
          what is your fuel consumption like,when towing ,,im thinking about it
          My mpg is 30---32. Have had more, Tail wind, Have had less Head wind.

Mines just the face lift never had 40 though, that's very good, that
          Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Same here. If my nose weight is somewhere between 75 and 85 I'm happy.
            Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

next time I go out will reset trip .the bloke I bought it off of had a merc estate and he said he got low 30s

Comment

There is lots of good advice here. I have been towing the same caravan for 15 years now with 3 different Vauxhalls. The caravan is a single axle Compass 1450kg max. I have pulled it with a Vec C SRi estate manual which was on 19in rims. A very stable car loads of boot space. Then an Insignia A ST preface SRi nav 160 manual on 18s. Pulled easy but not as stable as the Vec C. No problems other than you occasionally felt a little sway. Next and currently, Insignia B ST VXline 170 d auto on 20s. I have mentioned wheel size because I think it makes a difference. The lower the profile the less sway. This new Insignia tows like a dream. Very stable, plenty of power and so far for my first time towing with auto it is brilliant. Did Cornwall and back last year from north east easy. Always pay attention to nose weight and load the caravan over the axle. Have no fluids in the van toilet or otherwise as they amplify sway. Never speed down hill, do your overtakes up hill or on the flat. Only downside was Vec needed new dmf/clutch after 75k Insignia A new clutch (also did dmf but showing no signs of failure) after similar miles. Thats why I'm trying auto!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_163022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	244201

Comment

Spot on Drew. You will find the Auto box a dream. You are always in the right gear, throttle off down hill and it'll drop a gear.
                  I had a Compass 510/4 for about 8 years, towed with a Carlton
                  This ST is my sixth Vauxhall for towing. No Problems, very stable. I agree with you it can give a little nudge, nothing to worry about. Van has ATC fitted, best bit of safety gizmo there ever. Click image for larger version

Name:	Andy & Vickies wedding 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	244202

Don't have that siggy now. Wrote off.
                  Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

next time I go out will reset trip .the bloke I bought it off of had a merc estate and he said he got low 30s
                    What were the results???
                    Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

havn't been out since

next time out will be probs when we drive up to ripon to put it on a seasonal pitch march/April

Comment

I have always been in the low 30s with all the cars and I will cruise at 60mph on motorways and A roads. Drove down to Cornwall overnight last summer on cruise about 90% of the way! Strangely deactivates lane keep assist when towing! Generally deactivate it anyway but thought it might be handy on an overnighter.

Do love the auto, was pleased to find that it automatically drops the gears on down hills if it detects you want to hold it back...how does it know? Keeps it well in check on cruise up or down hill as well.

Comment

well we managed to get the van upto ripon on out seasonal pitch the other week

thanks god i was mainly doing 60mph from castleford to ripon its about 36 miles all a1 3 miles country roads

and averaged 36.8 mpg which i thought was very good

and even better just got a credit note for £900 off of the pitch owners because i couldnt get my van on because of lockdown happy dayz

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post

Do love the auto, was pleased to find that it automatically drops the gears on down hills if it detects you want to hold it back...how does it know? Keeps it well in check on cruise up or down hill as well.
                            Didn't I say So smooth up and down the box.
                            Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X