Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4cm scratch down to the metal - best approach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4cm scratch down to the metal - best approach?

Would you have a go at this yourself or take it to a bodyshop?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/scte911sDnohx2lE2

I would probably have a go myself but i know it would look crap. Chips away should be able to sort that i would think.

ChipsAway mobile SMART car scratch & bodywork repairs are high quality, cost-effective & convenient. Request a free quote today & we'll come to you!

Comment

I would be tempted to have a go too, and if I wasn't happy, could then take to a bodyshop. It wouldn't be any worse. I have done a few touching up jobs like this, sometimes with good results, you have nothing to lose.

Comment

if it had been silver/light colour I would take it to body shop but as its a dark colour have a go yourself I done some which turned out ok.

Comment

Last time I attempted to fix something like this with the touch up pot I thinned the paint a little with white spirit and it went on a lot smoother

Comment

what i would do is fill the deep area, wet and dry untill perfectly smooth, prime and paint using rattle cans then lacquer the following day, leave it for a week to harden off then flatten the overspray with finest grit wet and dry then buff with heavy cutting compound and again with finer cutting compound until its smooth to the touch finish with good polish on the full area.

Comment

It would have to be straight to body shop if it was me. I'd want it totally gone or that's all I'd see when i looked at the car. Plus I'm crap at touching up.
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
                I would probably have a go myself but i know it would look crap. Chips away should be able to sort that i would think.

https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/?gclid=C...kaAmbmEALw_wcB
                Iv'e often wondered how much these mobile services would charge for something like this, have you ever used them?

I would probably feck it up, so would have to get someone to do it.
                asktoby, let us know how you get on.
                North Manchester - Diesel 2.0 litre 2013 facelift SRI VX-LINE CDTIA - Nav 900 Intellilink - 19" Diamond Alloys

Comment

Never followed up to this.
                  I got the Halfords kit and had a go myself.
                  Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like asktoby.

And yes I know my car needs a wash.

Comment

With me it would of been straight down the body shop and had the whole side re-painted .
                    Because even if it's not there , i would know where it is ( if you catch my drift)
                    Had that sort of thing with a door mirror casing after a boat scraped it ( see other post )
                    Could not see it till up close but i knew where it was , so the whole door and mirror casing were blowen in to match .

.K.M.P.C.U
                    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                    X