1.4T Slight whistle noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.4T Slight whistle noise.

Anyone know what the crack is with my 17 Plate Insignia 1.4T.

Just picked it up. Always had diesels so new to petrol turbo. But in 3rd and 4th gear if I accelerate long enough I get a tiny whistle coming from engine area.

Dreaded thoughts automatically came to gearbox issue. But gears feel perfect. No jumping or anything.

Anyone else experience this ?

Thank you

Jonny
    Jonny
    Insignia SRi Turbo

Variable Valve Timing. It does take time to get use to these certain noises.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
      Variable Valve Timing. It does take time to get use to these certain noises.
      Oh is that what it is ? I never knew my 1.4t will have VVT?
      Jonny
      Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

Bypass valve? VVT would not whistle. You've reached max boost pressure and bypass is kicking into play, I'd say.

Comment

It's strange. I hope it's not gearbox it doesn't sound like a whine. It's when I'm building up speed on a motorway in 3rd and 4th starts slightly whistling until I change gear.

Jonny
          Originally posted by buttons View Post
          Bypass valve? VVT would not whistle. You've reached max boost pressure and bypass is kicking into play, I'd say.
          Jonny
          Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
            The op say whistle is it a whistle? or a noise can't really be described.

Comment

The op say whistle is it a whistle? or a noise can't really be described.
              Yeah it's like a strange whistle hard to explain. I'll try grab video some time

Jonny
              Jonny
              Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by jonathaneuk View Post
                Yeah it's like a strange whistle hard to explain. I'll try grab video some time

Jonny
                I personally don't think there is anything to worry about. You got used to driving a diesel which don't emit any noises once on the go, but petrol is full of bells & whistles which is why people prefer to drive them.

Comment

But yeah get a video of it when you can.

Comment

I personally don't think there is anything to worry about. You got used to driving a diesel which don't emit any noises once on the go, but petrol is full of bells & whistles which is why people prefer to drive them.
                    Thanks. I just panic too much ha ha. Other than that I'm very happy with it !

Jonny
                    Jonny
                    Insignia SRi Turbo

Comment

Working...
                    X