Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Discs and Pads Fitted - pads failed

Hi All,
    Finally got round to fitting the MTec discs and EBC Ultimax pads, had them a couple of months, Fitted Monday all seemed ok drove home about 10 miles, low speed taking it easy next day car wouldn’t move, backs had seized on, rocking car in rev and 1st still no joy, mucker who fitted them came over and never seen anything like it.

The pads had literally stuck to the discs and broke away when we tried to take them apart, the calipers lifted off easily with no trouble so were releasing properly, but what we found was not good.
    Photos here

Wow, looks like they well seized on, had these on old Sig with no probs, but had brembo pads,, planning to fit the same to new one, when time comes,, are you trying different pads?
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

These were EBC Ultimax 2 pads mate, never seen pads do this.

Comment

fitted these to mine last month....not a problem with them

Comment

Must be a duff batch I reckon, sent EBC the photos, not normally a warranty issue but they will replace them as they were new, old pads were decent condition no grooves so we put those back on, seems ok, could have been the disc coating where it got hot and having handbrake on over night caused it to stick, cant think of anything else.

Cheers
          Mark

Comment

It could be the coating of the ebc pads that cause a stick to the disc. Special pads for special discs maybe?

Comment

Could be as they have a break in coating on them, new ones will be here Friday so old pads should clean the mtec coating off, and shall see what happens next

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

If the new premium pads stick again then it won't be compatible with your discs. But fingercross for you.

Comment

could be that the discs were not cleaned with brake cleaner before fitting, they are sometimes coated to stop them rusting on the shelf
                  if the coating is not rinsed off with brake cleaner and wiped down the heat from braking will burn the pad and disc together

Comment

Got the Mtec discs with silver coating, so nothing yo clean off as you would normally, they also sell EBC pads with theur discs as sets, so should not be any compatability issues.

Cheers
                    Mark

Comment

I'v changed more disc's and pads than I can remember and never seen any thing like that? what have manufacturer had to say?

Comment

Originally posted by ilunn View Post
                        I'v changed more disc's and pads than I can remember and never seen any thing like that? what have manufacturer had to say?
                        I had a caliper seize on the rear of a Vivaro van I had about 10 years ago, it got so hot I could hear the brake fluid boiling in the caliper. When I changed the caliper the pads came off fine. I think I might even have left them on. I've never seen anything like it either.
                        Unless the brake cleaner and superglue got mixed up.

Comment

EBC are sending new pads out, they said not normally a warranty issue especially as I did not use their discs, but as they were new they would send me a new set.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                            Unless the brake cleaner and superglue got mixed up.
                            You never know

Comment

The mtecs I fitted a couple of months ago and had the anti rust silver coating on them but I still cleaned them with the cleaning solution.

Just as I've done for nearly 35 years.....old habits die hard

Comment

Working...
                              X