Water pump whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump whine

Hi all, my 2011 1.8's water pump is whinning on idle when up to temp, it's ok if above 1000rpm, is a new one needed?
    Also a mechanic told me its not connected to the cam belt (I thought may as well get this done while changing the water pump as thats normal practice) but apparently not, is he correct?
    Lastly 2011 car on 82k miles, This is a red 'get you cam belt changed now before its too late' sign to me but he says 10 years or 100k whichever is first, he's actually the second mechanic (from different garages) to tell me this, are they A/ correct B/ too busy C/dont give a **** its not my car or D/am I worrying about nothing?

Your man is talking rubbish. You have to remove the timing belt to change the water pump they should always change both, seems an odd thing for a mechanic to say

Comment

I need mine doing soon. Auxilary belt(fan belt) manual says needs doing at 80k, cam/timing belt 100k, and water pump would be replaced at the same time with standard practise.

Mine is on 78k. Almost on the border to what the manual says .

Water pump runs off the aux belt if I'm not wrong.

Comment

I also think it's 6yrs old too,,not 10yrs
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
          I need mine doing soon. Auxilary belt(fan belt) manual says needs doing at 80k, cam/timing belt 100k, and water pump would be replaced at the same time with standard practise.

Mine is on 78k. Almost on the border to what the manual says .

Water pump runs off the aux belt if I'm not wrong.
          Bang on Ray,plus the belt from w/pump to power steering pump needs to be stretched on.Did mine a few months back at 82000.
          Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Yup, on the older Z18XE engine fitted to the Vectra, the timing belt did also drive the water pump.

However, on the newer Z18XER in the Vectra, and the A18XER fitted to the Insignia, the water pump is driven by an auxiliary belt. It’s therefore entirely possibly to change just the water pump without disturbing the timing belt.

I had similar issues with a noisy tensioner on my own 1.8 about a year ago, and fitted a new timing belt kit to cure it. Didn’t bother putting a new water pump in, as it’s easily accessible and the car had only done about 40k at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by puppet View Post
              Yup, on the older Z18XE engine fitted to the Vectra, the timing belt did also drive the water pump.

However, on the newer Z18XER in the Vectra, and the A18XER fitted to the Insignia, the water pump is driven by an auxiliary belt. It’s therefore entirely possibly to change just the water pump without disturbing the timing belt.

I had similar issues with a noisy tensioner on my own 1.8 about a year ago, and fitted a new timing belt kit to cure it. Didn’t bother putting a new water pump in, as it’s easily accessible and the car had only done about 40k at the time.
              Sorry I keep forgetting that people drive petrol cars

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
                Sorry I keep forgetting that people drive petrol cars
                With the 1.8 Insignia, only those of us that don’t mind getting overtaken by OAPs in Zimmer frames.

Comment

Zimmer frames with 3 legs!

Comment

Originally posted by puppet View Post
                    With the 1.8 Insignia, only those of us that don’t mind getting overtaken by OAPs in Zimmer frames.
                    It's awful.

Comment

I'll still stick up for the 1.8 even though I don't have one any more. Goes when you need it.
                      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                        I'll still stick up for the 1.8 even though I don't have one any more. Goes when you need it.
                        It better otherwise be better off walking

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                          It better otherwise be better off walking
                          You've been brainwashed by the diesel owners. Gears are there for a reason. That's why petrol drivers don't suffer from dmf and clutch problems as much. They don't confuse torque for speed.
                          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                            You've been brainwashed by the diesel owners. Gears are there for a reason. That's why petrol drivers don't suffer from dmf and clutch problems as much. They don't confuse torque for speed.
                            I was a diesel owner Mark. Loved every bit driving the diesel. It's the feel when you put foot down and actually seeing moving past cars quickly. I never liked revving a car high, feels like it has to pushed hard to go, which is not the way I like driving.

Comment

That's because of the noise in a diesel...you're used to that racket all the time.....us petrol owners enjoy the peace and quiet unless we open up. Its not making the car work hard. Its just waking it up a bit. I've never owned a diesel but driven plenty. Not my cup of tea. Each to there own but leave the 1.8 alone and I'll leave tractors alone....sorry, I mean diesels.

Comment

Working...
                              X